cereal & bottles

did you ever put cereal in your babys bottle? if so...what age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Unless it is being given for reflux, cereal should only be given by spoon. And not before 4 or better 6 months.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Never never...it's a choking risk. Only do this if the doctor directs it for reflux.

It doesn't help babies sleep, by the way...nothing does. They sleep when THEY are ready to..despite what you do rather than because of it.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Haha! I just put this in the post below. I gave Lila her first cereal in a bottle at 5 1/2 months. Just a tablespoon or two in the morning. It was more to get her used to a new texture than for nutrition.
    jenluv37

Answer by jenluv37 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I just read the pp. I don't see how rice cereal could possibly be a choking hazard. The cereal comes out like little grains of sand! I did 4oz of formula mixed with 1-2 tbsp. of cereal once a day. Even if it was thick from a spoon I still don't see how a baby could choke on it . . . unless it was a newborn or something . . .
    jenluv37

Answer by jenluv37 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Desperate for sleep, I tried it at 4 months and again at 6 months. It didn't help her sleep through the night. I've since taken an informal poll of the moms in my moms group - it seemed to work for one mom, it didn't change a thing for 8 others.

gdiamante is right - it's a choking hazard and babies sleep through the night when they are ready.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:02 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I haven't and won't. Before 6 months their tummies aren't ready for anything but breastmilk, and adding cereal to a bottle makes it easy for them to eat more cereal than they would normally eat.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 12:03 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• It's only a choking hazard if you mix it too thickly!

And every baby is different, there is no appropriate age for all babies to start cereal!

I love how Moms on here will tell you that babies can develop in every other way at different times, but that no babies are ready for solids before six months. ;)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:40 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Sorry, I didn't really answer your question! I did, after determining with my doctor that baby was ready at two months. I've not had one single problem!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:41 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Yes I do and YES it IS for Reflux. I didnt start until he was 4mo though. Poor guy has to be on Soy Formula as well.
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 1:41 AM on Dec. 23, 2008