Welfare to work?

Anyone else think it's a bunch of crap? My husband was told he was over-qualified and that they couldn't help him. Ugh. Fucking sucks ass...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Welfare sucks. My mother applied for food stamps and got her card 2 weeks later. It has been almost a month and she still has not got any money put on the card.
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 12:08 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• i think married ppl get the raw end of the deal. its almost like they promote single parents, not that there is anything with single parents being im one..its not easy. but seems like if there is a 2 parent household get less help than single parent households and it should be based on individual needs...if that made sense
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• We work our asses off. I work as much as I can, and he's depressed because he can't find work. I just can't believe they old him they can't help him find a job. He's going to have to lie about his education to get a job at McDonalds or Wal-Mart.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• To the anon above me~thats how its going to be for awhile..sorry to say. I've been lying for the last few weeks to get hired....still nada! Overqualified....not that we can get assistance...bcz of dh's net in black & white...but, struggling like alot I'm sure. Its more like work your a$$ off to welfare these days!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My DH has applied for over 40 jobs after being laid off. He's been either over qualified or asking for to high a salary. Now he's lowered his salary expectations by 20K in hopes of finding a job in his field. He took a 3rd shift job that pays more than 3 times less than what he was making 4 months ago. But I must say....We Thank God for this stupid low paying 3rd shift job that he's got...because it's keeping a roof over our heads right now and then there are those that are struggling to find work at all. This economy is soooooo messed up!
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 2:06 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• We can't get any of that either.My husband makes too much.
    LND

Answer by LND at 6:46 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I'm sorry but when it comes to the welfare to work program they need to make some big changes. They are supposed to help everyone and the only ones they help are the uneducated crackheads, if you actually want to work they don't help.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:49 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Who thinks Obama will change it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Welfare was started with the idea that all women with children were married with a husband who could, would and did work and provide for his family. Welfare was supposed to be only for widows and the VERY occasional divorcee or even rarer single mother--since there was something "wrong" with "women like that", in the way they looked at things. The welfare systerm never has and still doesn't understand families with a male parent who is ill or otherwise disabled and can't provide. Society has changed a lot in the 50-60 years since, but welfare really hasn't changed much. Women on public assistance are still viewed as lazy or worse, never taking into account all the variables that life can throw at a person. The whole system needs an overhaul from the top down.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:29 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• The system is not helping those in which is was originally created to help. Those people who work for a living and fall on hard times. Its remarkably hard to get help if you are a middle class working family who just got laid off temporarily or have high income in the past. I have only ONE time applied for FS and my dh had been laid off for about 3 mos prior to that. We finally got desperate and I drove up in my minivan, dressed like I always dressed and I explained to her that we had no income. They expected us to have minimal income or not making enough. WHen I explained that this was a temporary situation, she told me that the state would not let us go on without any income. Basically, they were not there to help those who had temporary issues. I explained that when he obtained another job, we would be WELL over the limits. It was like pulling teeth to get them to help us.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:52 AM on Dec. 23, 2008