We, My Son and I adopted 2 Hamsters.

1, is really sweet, but still hamster behavior.

The 2nd  ...... 1.....Bites, and IS BOSS !

Can and how can you tame a hamster ?

SissyAnn141

Asked by SissyAnn141 at 2:36 AM on Aug. 10, 2011 in Pets

• If there's a way, we never found one. We adopted a quote unquote 'sweet, cuddly' hamster and it ended up being a little caramel colored demon. Bit my daughter twice before I got rid of it. I had her wash her hands before she touched it so they wouldn't smell like food, she was gentle with it, never rough. He had tons of exercise time in his ball and out. The best selection of food we could come up with after doing research on the internet. I think they're horrible pets! Next time we'll get her a guinea pig or a rat.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:41 AM on Aug. 10, 2011

• ratts are a hole lot better pets my doughter has one and there fun to have !
    ELMO156

Answer by ELMO156 at 2:46 AM on Aug. 10, 2011

• Thank You, my son is 18 years old.

I am a single mother.

We have put our hands in thier bedding and have decided to stroke them lovely as the walk by ?

"MINE", i s a sweet-HEART , HIS is a A*S !!!!.

I did not know such a little bite, could "BLEED SO MUCH"? GEEZE ?????

IF I have to get rid of them, what do "I DO"?

I DO "NO ABUSE !!" ** No, snakes, nothing bad.
    SissyAnn141

Comment by SissyAnn141 (original poster) at 2:49 AM on Aug. 10, 2011

• We also have rats! My husband and I both had hamsters as children and remembered them not being so nice so we went with rats too.
    NoreenB8

Answer by NoreenB8 at 9:41 AM on Aug. 10, 2011

• R they boys or girls?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:58 AM on Aug. 10, 2011

• Are they male or female? If they are one of each, you may end up with lots of hamsters! What I have found works with small animals is to feed them often from your hand, and when you hold them give them food. Associating you with food is the best way to forge a bond. I have found that hamsters are one of the rodents more likely to bite- we've had mice, rats, guinea pigs, and I have some experience with gerbils and hamsters as well and have generally found that hamsters are the least social out of the crew.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2011

• Just to add- you are more likely to get bit if you try to pat them in their cage (you said you were poking your fingers into their bedding.) That's where they go to retreat- they may feel threatened if the big hand follows them into there! I would try to draw them out with food and hold them and interact with them that way. They are prey animals and are still going to react to the feeling of being 'pursued' like prey animals (ie. run or fight.) I have guinea pigs who are very placid and will actually follow me around the room if they are free, and only one of them will let me pat her in the cage. The other one still completely freaks because it's normal for prey animals to flee something invading their space.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2011

• It depends on how old. Are they the same sex?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:42 AM on Aug. 11, 2011

• They are brothers.

They told me... because they were caged together, they would be great.

They get along great ♥♥♥♥♥♥.

They just do not like us ?

I am still trying different things .

Any suggestions are welcome.
    SissyAnn141

Comment by SissyAnn141 (original poster) at 2:11 AM on Aug. 11, 2011

• work gloves and constant handling
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 3:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2011