natural childbirth after c section?

can you do that? my daughter was born via c-section and i really want the next one to be born naturally....is there a possibility of that? will doctors allow it?

maddoxsmommy605

Asked by maddoxsmommy605 at 12:35 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've been hearing vbac is more commom these days. I'm not sure if you have to be a good candidate for it or something But I'm curious myself.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 12:37 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• yes you can. i've have had 2 c-sections and since then have had 4 kids.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:57 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Definetely! It's actually more of a risk to have a repeat C section than to go all natural. The docs want you to believe something else because it's more convenient to them and they make a lot more money. They try to scare you with uterine rupture and such, but the stats show that uterine rupture in natural childbirth happens less than 1% of the time. I am pregnant with my 2nd and am planning a natural home birth; oh, and my first was a C section. If you can, check out a couple of groups that I'm in: VBACs and Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth. There's a ton of info there, including medical journals and articles.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 1:30 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• You can! And if you do your research, you will find that a VBAC is actually safer than a repeat cesarean for most women! Here are some great places to start looking;
    www.vbacfacts.com
    www.ican-online.org.

There are some great groups here on cafemom where you can find other women who are planning a VBAC as well. My favorite group is the No Nonsense VBAC group - where you can share your birth story with knowledgable women and get insight into factors that may have played into your csection. Some are necessary to save the life of the mother or baby - but with a CS rate of nearly 1 in 3 (in America) it's hard to believe that ALL of these are necessary.

I had a CS in June, and we plan to TTC sometime next fall. We are planning a homebirth for our VBAC.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 1:31 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Most hospitals refuse to do it anymore for insurance reasons.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/13999

ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:50 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• It is definitely possible. I have friends and family who have had successful VBACs. Your best bet for a successful VBAC is to educate yourself on the facts, find a midwife, and birth at home or a birthing center. Good luck!
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:43 AM on Dec. 23, 2008