how to wean off the bottle?

my daughter is 10 1/2 months old and absolutely refuses to go to bed without a bottle, even when she wakes up in the middle of the night she wants one, she needs one at naps too, how do i get her to go to sleep without her bottle, after all, she is supposed to be off bottles at 1, and thats soon

Trinity32188

Asked by Trinity32188 at 12:47 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well for sleeping time you could start watering it down until it is 100% water and then it doesn't matter if she has it for sleeping since it won't cause damage. As for being off the bottle by a year, that is a new fad. There is really no need for it. My son just threw out his bottle last week because he was ready to be done with it and he is 2.5 years old. I had mine till I was 4. There was just a rule of it was only for milk and only used at home. Sippys are just grown up versions of the bottle anyways.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:56 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I'm probably not much help. My daughter gave the bottle up at 12 months but she is 2 1/2yo now and still has to have a sippy cup to go to bed on.
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 1:30 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I had that problem with my youngest which is now two but i got tired of feeding my son in the middle of the night at 9 months old he should have been sleeping through the night so i asked his doctor and this is what i was told and did and it worked like magic and he has slept through the night ever since and basically if you can get the bottle away at sleep times then you can throw it away any way here is what worked for me

Now you have to be tough be able to hear her cry for a while but in the middle of the night when she wakes up you go into her room see if she is soiled if she isnt you dont talk to her dont pick her up dont give her a bottle tuck her back in and say good night!
    you go back to be she will cry this took about two weeks but eventually they figure out wow i am
    keeler_s

Answer by keeler_s at 1:37 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• not gonna get what i want and they go back to sleep at that age they dont need to eat at night its just become a habbit! Anyway by the end of 2 weeks it was over my son slept through the night and it was wonderful after the middle of the night bottle was gone it was really easy to eliminate the rest of them and he was done by 12 months old! I hope this helps and we did give him a sippy cup at bed when he quit the bottle but only with water! he just turned 2 on oct 31 of this yr and we just weaned him off of the sippy about a month ago I hope this helps
    keeler_s

• well what i did was formula in the bottle and milk in the sippy once he realized the stuff in the sippy tasted better he never wanted a bottle again that was how it worked for me
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 8:43 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• i started putting water in his bottle & then finally i got tired of having to change him & the sheets cuz hed pee thru from so many bottles that i threw them away at 18months.I gave him a sippy of water & told him he could have 1 drink then he had to go to sleep.He fussed the first couple nights & then stopped.I had also stopped giving bottles during the day & let him have a sippy & made him have his naps without a bottle.
    cheekymonster

Answer by cheekymonster at 3:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2008