how do i get my 10 month old to use the sippy cup without spilling it everywhere?

MY DD will use a sippy but only for a moment, and she loves to knock it over and just let it spill out, how can i get her to keep it upright?

Trinity32188

Asked by Trinity32188 at 1:12 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a Foogo Thermos sippy for my daughter and it is leak-proof. As someone else has stated, only give your child a sippy when it is time to drink. Otherwise she/he will play with the cup. It's okay if she/ he doesn't learn to use the cup properly at first. There is a learning curve to using a cup and it will take time. Be patient and understanding. =)
    ballerina18

Answer by ballerina18 at 4:40 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Use the kind that are spill proof.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:13 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Shes 10mo....shes not gonna learn over night!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Don't give it to her throughout the day, only when it is time to drink. My daughter tries to play with her bottle if she isn't hungry and I take it away right away to avoid the mess.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:15 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Unfortunatly, shes still a baby and shes learning. By knocking it upside down she sees what happens if its not upright. You can get her a sippy thats spill proof but expecting her not to knock it over is expecting too much from her yet!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 1:16 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I know she is to young to understand, i mean how do i teach her to keep it upright
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 1:34 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I'd just keep picking it back up and say "the cup needs to stay this way" or something like that, the only thing that will work is repetition, but she might be to young to get it yet...Until she learns...I'd get the leak proof like the pp's say...actually I'm so anal about messes I'll always have the leak proof kind.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 2:39 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Get the spill/leak proof kind. Only let her have a cup when she's sitting at the table or in her high chair. When she knocks it over (on purpose), tell her that's not what we do with cups and set it back up. If she continues to knock it over, take it away. She will fuss a bit for it. Let her fuss a bit...but not to the point of total upset...and give it back saying, "don't knock it over again or I'll have to take it away." If she knocks it over again (on purpose) take it away...fuss a bit...give it back with a warning. Third strike and it's out.

Yes, she's 10 months, but she can be taught, she can learn. It will take a a few meals and snack times...but she'll learn. Most of the problem may be fixed by getting a cup that doesn't spill! My boys learned at 6 months. Your daughter can learn at 10.

Good luck!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:34 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I use Gerber brand. they don't leak unless they are dropped with enough force that the little valve comes out of the top. I have a couple that I used first that had handles on the side. Made it easier to hold. It just takes time. I also start them with water in their cup, less mess.
    momof4treasures

Answer by momof4treasures at 6:38 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Get a sippy cup that has a valve and doesn't leak. I used the Gerber cups. Save the sippy cups that don't have valves until she is over 2.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:41 AM on Dec. 23, 2008