Help us!!

My daughter will be three in March. She has been potty trained during the day since her 2nd b day, but she still goes at night most of the time. It's been almost a year! When can she kiss those diapers good bye. Please don't say be patient because I have been, and there hasn't been any improvement. I need some real tips.

luvinher

Asked by luvinher at 1:43 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know what you mean, our patience pretty much dried up at points too, i would go for just waterproof sheets and then be patient with washing the sheets everynight. It's worked with all mine that have done this, because they hated sleeping in it! Oh and you could also try not giving her drinks before bed or getting her up a few times in the night and taking her to the toilet. Good Luck honey, I feel for you
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 6:41 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• sorry but really it is patience that you need.

there is NO way to force her to hold it in her sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• There are no real tips. Patience is pretty much it.

You *could* take her out of the dipes NOW and have a waterproof mattress pad on her bed. That's what we did at age four when pullups stopped fitting, but my son didn't stop having accidents till he was about six. If you use this approach, expect to do a LOT of laundry.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:50 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My son did the same thing. I just got rid of the diapers anyway. Make sure they don't have anything an hour before bedtime & make them potty before they go to sleep. You will be surprised how they don't like getting up to be changed.
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 1:54 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• my dd is 19 months and after xmas im gonna begin to potty train,..and i have no clue really how im going to do it..but i do know that i wont force..so if shes not ready then shes not ready..but yea patience is what you need,..i mean,..some kids wet the bed whenever theyre 10 and such.
    amysmomma505

Answer by amysmomma505 at 1:54 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• We stuck it out and washed sheets, and a couple weeks later he is no longer using pullups at night. He's 28 months old. Just make sure they pee before bed and limit drinks at that time too.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:55 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I haven't gone through this yet but my best guess would be to put her in underwear and not a pull up at night, if she is wearing a pull up she might think that its OK to potty in it, i mean, that's what they are for right? lol, but im not sure, it can't hurt to try it : ) and if she still potties in the bed, maybe you could make her help clean them out, even if it is just pee, she could clean them out in the sink, then maybe she will try a little harder to use the potty, i hope i could be of little assistance lol, good luck with your daughter, : )
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 1:59 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• The no drinks before bed is the best idea. But some kids just have to get old enough to fully realize what is going on. I know that my going on 4 yo still believes that if she has to pass gas that she has to be on the pot. She can not distinguish between the feel of gas and the feel of poop.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 8:14 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Well...since my kids and so many of the kids I know were never potty trained too much before the age of three, I will be the one to tell you to be patient. Now that she is closer to three, she may be ready soon. In the meantime, try to limit the drinks before bedtime, and have her go before she goes to bed....Do you know if she is actually going during the night or is it when she is waking up? I don't know if it matters but the techniques might differ....If it is first thng in the morning then I guess waking her up directly on the way to the toilet.....I thought they recommended trying to start potty training when they were dry in the morning....so maybe you started too soon.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:13 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My son will be 3 in March also and we still have the same problem, but we've not been worrying about it and have been letting him do it at his own pace. He still doesn't even just go on his own during the day without me reminding him to. But having your child wear regular underwear and have to sleep wet until changed, and no drinks at least an hour before bedtime should be the best things to try. Good luck!
    BeckNAiden06

Answer by BeckNAiden06 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 23, 2008