I feel like my boyfriends mom is stepping on my toes with my baby...how do i deal with it?

She always wants to buy everything for my baby. For Christmas she bought her a million Christmas presents and i could only afford to buy one. I mean i'm happy my baby is getting more presents, but it makes me feel pretty crappy that its not me getting her all those presents. Am i over reacting? Am i making a big deal out of nothing? My baby is only four months old, but still.

acwaldeck

Asked by acwaldeck at 2:08 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

• Just because she bought the baby gifts for xmas doesnt mean,...she is stepping on your toes,

she is helping you out, maybe because she knows you and her son are struggling,??/

be thankful,
    because when i get gifts for my dd i am just as excited as she is,
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 2:17 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• How many grandchildren does she have? I know with my kids my parents buy them a lot of stuff, because they are the only grandchildren they have. Since I know they get my kids lots of toys, I usually go light on the toys, and buy more clothes, books, and other stuff for my kids so I'm not overwhelmed with new toys.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 2:25 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Be thankful you have the help. Some grandparents don't buy nothing. My kids have those types. Plus remember Santa brings the gifts lol.

myzero

Answer by myzero at 6:06 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Grandparents can/do spoil grndchildren. Its what I will do when I have mine :) . I won't be stepping on toes, I will just be loving my grandchildren. I agree with Lexiesmommy 100%
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 6:52 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• dear at 4 months old your dd is not going to care that she even has toys, you know that :)
    she's only loving her son's child.Try not to red more into it than it is.What if she did nothing?
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 7:11 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• read :)
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 7:12 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• She's the Grandma! She wants to shower gifts on her Grandchild and you're complaining? She's older and more able to afford material things - that's how the world works. When you're young you struggle, when you're middle aged you work your arse off and save, and then you get older and have the funds to splurge.

Here's a tip :) The number of gifts one buys does not equal the love one gives. It doesn't matter if she buys your child the Empire State Building, you're still the mom. Let Grandma have her fun! You're the one that gets to spend 24/7 with your baby playing with all the toys Grandma bought.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• my parents do that. I'm not mad I'm grateful. I can't afford to buy loads of stuff for my kids but my parents can. This year my parents bought everything for Christmas for my kids. It saved me money that can go towards everything else my kids need. You know those little pesky things like food, shelter, electric, water. And you know what it all gets put under the same tree so they don't know who got them what in the end they just know they got stuff.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:11 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• When I have Grandkids, I hope I am in a place to spoil them rotten! Enjoy it and be happy your child is so loved and blessed!

MamaDiane

Answer by MamaDiane at 8:32 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I agree, enjoy it. She obviously wants to be a doting Grandmother, and means no harm by it. Be grateful she is even involved. There are lots of grandparents who are just like deadbeat Dads, in a way. And want nothing to do with their grandchildren.
    sunnymom3

Answer by sunnymom3 at 9:04 AM on Dec. 23, 2008