What drives mothers to kill their children?

Besides pure selfishness and evil.
Your thoughts?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 2:23 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Severe mental illness...?
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 2:27 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I would never want to know - that is a mindset to which I want no insight.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:33 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• mostly mental illnesses. depression, anger issues, schizophrenia, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• It's just fuckin sick! I look at how precious and innocent my daughter is and wonder how can a mom bring so much harm to something so fragile. We're the ones who should protect them not harm them. I hope Casey Anthony and any other mother who kills their child burns forever in hell!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:43 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Same reasons a man kills a child or anyone else. Mental illness, selfishness, greed and many other reasons. Most in prison are abuse victims and many suffer mental illness. Seems women get more of a free pass than men. Men and women are both capable of evil. Children are also more likely to be killed by mom and dad than a stranger. I know it is hard for people to wrap their heads around that but it is true. Stranger abductions are rare in comparison to parents that harm their children. Just because a woman has a uterus and can spread her legs does not mean she is a mom.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I have no idea. It is sad. It is sick. It tears me up to hear about it (or) read about it.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:03 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Wow. There are entire books written on that exact question. In most cases, it's some form of mental illness. This is a really interesting article on it:

http://www.uchc.edu/ocomm/newsarchive/news04/dec04/religiosity.html

CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 8:31 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• It is so contrary to mothering, that you know there has to be major psychological disturbance in the woman to do it. Different forms of disturbance, different stories...but disturbance all the same. Extreme forms of selfishness, narcissism....distorted versions of "love" with an evil man....and then there are the ones who feel God is telling them to do it because their kids would be better off avoiding the pitfalls of life on earth....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:01 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I was thinking this same thing this morning. Along with all the above answers, I truly believe it coincides with abortion being made legal, and the loss of respect for life. I'm sure I will get bashed for that answer, but thats my opinion.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 9:20 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I think if I understood the mentality of a mother that kills I would have much bigger problems. I am glad I don't understand it and I don't really have a desire to learn 'why' someone would commit this type of crime.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:24 AM on Dec. 23, 2008