• In the Spotlight:

Can anybody give me a weaning schedule for a 5 month baby ?

I need a step by step weaning guide as I dont know what I am doing !!!!

Caz37

Asked by Caz37 at 7:12 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why are you weaning a 5 month old !?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 7:22 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Because he has silient reflux and have been advised my doctor to wean early.
    Caz37

Answer by Caz37 at 7:37 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I wouldn't wean for that, I would find a new doctor. There is nothing better than breastmilk. If babies were meant to have formula, that would come out of our boobs.
    I would try changing your diet. Cut out dairy, wheat, all allergens. Yes, it may be a pain, but it IS what is healthiest for your baby. The WHO and UNICEF reccomend breastfeeding a MINIMUM of two years.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 7:46 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Well, depending on how fast you need her weaned, you could go cold turkey. If you have time to wean with a week or so process then start with a feeding in the middle of the day, cut that one for a few days and then pick another feeding either right before or right after the one that was cut. Do this until you have cut all feedings except for the first thing in the morning or last one at bed. Then when your ready, cut the morning one and then lastly bedtime.

This is pretty much what I did with my daughter a few months ago, she was about 7 months old. She did fine and I was down BF her in 1-2 weeks. She also started sleeping through the night when I started formula during the day.

Good luck!!
    luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 7:46 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• BF may be what is best for baby BUT formula isn't going to hurt your child. Do what you know is best for your child and you!
    luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 7:48 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• im with caz i would find another doc and get a second opinion five months is too early
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:54 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Found this on reflux, my cousins baby had silent reflux, her pediatrician recommended waiting longer to wean because breast milk was easier on his tummy,
    "Breastfeeding is definitely best for a baby with reflux because it is more hypoallergenic than formula and is digested twice as fast as formula. If breastfeeding is not chosen or not possible by the mother, formula changes can help some babies. If the baby has a milk or lactose allergy or intolerance giving the baby formula that is milk based can make reflux worse"
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 8:01 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• luvmy3kid, NEWS FLASH...formula does kill!!!! I've never met anyone who;s breast milk contained malomine and was killing kids.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:07 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Lets not turn this into a BF/FF debate.

Poster...do you WANT to wean?? Because honestly in this case its not the only/best option.
    MommieLex

Answer by MommieLex at 8:26 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• NAK
    I agree find a new doctor, breastmilk is the BEST food for babies w/ reflux.

This should have some helpful stuff towards the 2nd half/end! http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html GL!
    ValiantJoy

Answer by ValiantJoy at 8:46 AM on Dec. 23, 2008