in your opinion

so you think a fourteen month old is to young for a sit n spin? i bought my daughter the sounds and lights sit n spin for christmas and my mother about shit her pants. telling me she was too young and i shouldn't have bought that. what do you think is she too young?? she will stand in the middle of the room and make herself dizzy til she falls down so i though it would be safer if she was already sitting down lol

jodi205

Asked by jodi205 at 8:13 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Just for Fun

• It completely depends on the child. My daughter has many toys that are for ages 3 and up and has no problem with them at 16 months. She has always had toys that are meant for older children. You are her mother, you know what she can and cannot do. I would just let your mom see her playing on it, (my mother is the same way) and if she still has a problem with it well there is nothing more you can do!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:20 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• As long as she can sit and hold on to it she should be fine. My mom was protective of my son too, just remember it's only cuz she cares.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 8:17 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• ha ha dle4125 you don't know my mother. she will do anything to get under someones skin. and the one that i bought has speeds on it so i figure we will start with the slowest one you know? and this fit was coming from a woman who bought her granddaughter a potty chair for her first birthday.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:21 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I see that Amazon seems to suggest age 24 months as the youngest. Probably it depends on the child. The concern may be that the neck of a very young child may not be strong enough to withstand the swinging around. It is different from the turn around of a child spinning on her own. With the toy, the push is sideways.

Answer by Bmat at 8:29 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My kids couldn't work their sit and spin until they were much older, but they had one. She can always grow into it, so I'm not sure why your mother would be so upset. Even if she falls off of it, she's maybe 3 inches off the ground =)
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 8:29 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I don't think you would have bought if you thought she would get hurt, so don't worry about it. She seems to be having fun and thats a good thng!

Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 8:44 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I've often bought my kids things that the age guideline was older than they were. You have to look at your child, their physical capabilities, their intelligence level and ability to understand how to properly play with it. If you think she can handle it, then let her have it. If she starts to play with it, and you realize she's not really ready for it, then you simply put it up until she's old enough. No biggie.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:59 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• She might not get the idea of it yet but she'll grow into it or figure it out eventually. My middle dd got one for her 2nd birthday and knew how to work it but her older siblings had more fun by laying on their side and then spinning themselves with their feet.
    My only suggestion is don't put batteries in it. We had one that lit up and played music and it was so LOUD it hurt my ears in another room and they are sitting right next to it. There was no off switch on ours and no volume control. After a couple of days I took the top apart to get the batteries out before it damaged their hearing.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:52 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I had one for my son at about that age. He could just sit on it and make the music play by hitting the button. I think it is fine. My son is now 2 and he loves his.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 10:40 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Maybe not yet, but she will grow into it in a few months. Those are such classic toys. Every child should have a sit n spin...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:32 AM on Dec. 23, 2008