How do I stop nosebleeds?

Today is the 2nd day I been dealing with a nosebleed. And once they start, they dont stop and I get nauses and a little dizzy.. I dont know what could be causing them? Please help!

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 8:32 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Health

• http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/n/nosebleeds/causes.htm
    If I were you and getting them often I would go to the doctor and make sure it isnt anything serious. If you have a sinus infection or a cold that can cause them. With it being winter I would also see if the air in your home isnt too dry. That can cause it as well. You might need a humidifier. For instance in my home we have a wood stove which tends to make the air dry. We run a humidifier.

Answer by gemgem at 8:46 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• http://firstaid.webmd.com/tc/stopping-a-nosebleed-topic-overview
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• stick a tampon up your nose (I wresteled in high school and thats what we always did) Also, you can lay an ice pack on the back of your neck and lie down. Holding ice in your upper lip can also help, but will hurt if you have sensitive teeth. I get them everyday and more often while preggo, sometimes it's just a fact of life.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:52 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I woudl call the DR. It could be pregnancy related. Better safe then sorry.
    sgilbert211

Answer by sgilbert211 at 8:52 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Several things could be causing spontaneous nosebleeds (not trauma related): High blood pressure, thin capillary walls in your nasal passages, allergies, pimple/ingrown hair in nose, and nose picking (lol).

In winter, when the air is especially dry, causing your skin to become dry, capillaries in your nasal passages can break easily--this would result in oozing nose bleeds that are purple/blue in color. Also head cold related--or if you're sneezing/blowing your nose a lot!

To stop bleeding, keep your head level, and using your index finger and thumb squeeze the bridge of your nose (between your eyes) for several minutes, while applying a cold water compress. Cold will slow/stop blood flow, and allow the wound/tear to close up.

Use a humidifier to keep the air and your skin moist, as well as tissues that have aloe in them, and see/call your physician if the problem persists or bleeding does not stop easily.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:09 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• jess , when it starts bleeding apply a cold compress to the back of your neck ,
    it should stop if not pinch the bridge of your nose and kinda lean forward .
    SusieW

Answer by SusieW at 9:44 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• The pp is right: LOTS of things can cause nosebleeds. You can also use vaseline or regular saline nasal spray to moisturize. Either way I'd see a doc. I have seen many cases of high blood pressure and nosebleeds going hand in hand.  Not to say it's that but it would be better safe than sorry.  Also there is an in office procedure they can do to fix some of them very easily.  It's worth the trip :)

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:48 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Umm...Im kind of having the same problem.
    All though I've had it happen when I first got pregnant and it started in the middle of town.
    and again just acouple nights ago. I was laying down in bed.
    They go away but they are starting to concern me now, too.
    I think we BOTH need to see the Doctor, Jess. lol. :)
    CandieGirl09

Answer by CandieGirl09 at 9:11 AM on Dec. 28, 2008