What is a good sleep schedule for a month old infant?

My daughter is having a tough time adjusting to a normal sleep/wake pattern. Her schedule has us up all night long and sleeping well during the afternoon. Please give any advice. I'm desperate to get some sleep.

hmj827

Asked by hmj827 at 9:22 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Usually they won't adjust until 6-8 wks my doc said. Then they start fighting sleep alot because their brain is saying to stay up and their body is saying go to sleep. My baby is 5 1/2 months and still gets up 2-4 times a night to eat! But my other 2 were only 7 wks sleeping through the night!
    5maddie

Answer by 5maddie at 9:24 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Try to keep her awake more during the day. If this doesn't work then you need to sleep when she sleeps during the day. I made this mistake with my son. He is 5 months and now sleeps from 8 p.m til around 5 or 6 a.m. He used to sleep all day and be up a couple times during the night. It just takes them awhile to get more of a schedule. Hang in there it will get better!
    DJMsmom

Answer by DJMsmom at 9:28 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Been there done that. Babies that little don't normally sleep beyond 2 hour chunks, at the most is 4 hours. If you are still at home, you just need to nap when your baby does. What helped us get my son to be sleepier at night (because after being in the womb their sleep schedule is off) is to not let him sleep the few hours before we were going to go to sleep. Everytime he fell asleep we would tickle his toes, pick him up and talk to him, make it really difficult to snooze (we actually did this when he was a couple of weeks old) and we did it every evening for a few days and it helped him sleep longer during the night.
    zoie1077

Answer by zoie1077 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• When they are that little they won't sleep on a schedule. Your best bet is to just let the baby sleep when she wants and try to nap when she does. It will get easier. When babies are this little parents just don't get as much sleep.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:12 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• It's too early to put her on a schedule. Babies will adjust once they are a bit older.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 10:47 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• my son is 5 weeks old he falls asleep everynight at 10 and sleeps all night ong ang usually wakes around 8-9.
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 11:05 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Often a baby can be taught to sleep through the night by about 8 weeks old. If you feed your little one first, then try to keep her up and awake for 45 minutes or so and then nap her. Her feeding should be at least 2 1/2 - 3 hours apart, she will eventually wake up less at night. At a month, our kiddos were fed at midnight, but put them right back to bed and generally slept until 6 a.m. or so. Although I don't agree with the entire book, I found a book called BabyWise very helpful in setting the schedule. Because we have adopted two kids who were drug babies, I don't think I would have lived through their earlier months without a routine.
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 11:35 AM on Dec. 23, 2008