Does anyone here have cervical dystonia or any type of dystonia?

Does anyone here have cervical dystonia or any type of dystonia? My DH has it and it has caused him to have short term memory. He is also a self-centered asshole which I have learned to live with. But his memory problem is getting worse and he has become a total drama king. He is not taking any meds for this as he doesn't want to become a druggie. He is getting onto our 2 children (13 yrs and 8 yrs) all the time about things that are trivial. It is a constant struggle to deal with him and at the same time it is affecting my kids in a negative way. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Patricia

SeaMyst50

Asked by SeaMyst50 at 9:50 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Relationships

• Well, for this condition, your dh SHOULD be taking a prescription medication. If properly dispensed and monitored he will not become a "druggie!" It's really pretty silly NOT to want to improve your quality of life, when a simple medication or treatment can fix things. The being a jerk thing, well, again, he should be seeing a therapist about it, you shouldn't have to "learn to live with" ANYTHING that doesn't make you or your children happy!

I say it's time to give your dh a few ultimatums! Tell him, you and the kids love him, and want him to feel better and be happy, and that he either needs to get some help for his spasms (I don't believe the memory loss is connected--unless the spasms occur in the memory center of his brain!), and your anger, or WE'RE out of here!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:31 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I was diagnosed about 3 months ago, but I have had the symptoms for about 2 years, I just didn't go to a Dr about it.  I do have memory problem, but I believe that is caused by the drugs that I have been taking.   I can understand not wanting to take the drugs because of feeling like becoming a druggy, especially when it doesn't seem like the drugs are doing any good.  Treatment options also include injections, physical therapy and stress management. He should look into those as well if he isn't going to take the drugs.  But either way, none of this gives him the right to act like a "self centered asshole".  Particularly if he is not going to try to help himself.  Maybe if you remind him that stress is a major trigger to causing himself even more pain, he will lay of the kids about the triial things at least.

Senyeh

Answer by Senyeh at 4:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2008