tummy time dilemma.

My 3 mo. son will only sleep on his stomach. But if we try to put him that way while he is awake he will raise hell. He will not fall asleep on his own yet and he won't let me put him on his back. I'm not about to hold him 24 hrs a day.

mama28th

Asked by mama28th at 9:53 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• can he hold his head up at all? some babies, no matter how hard you try, will sleep on their back. ask your pedi about it- usually if they can hold up their head, they may be ok. a lot of babies also hate tummy time while awake, so you are not alone there. my little girl hated tummy time until she was almost crawling. i would just lay her on her tummy on my lap and she did better, or draped across my arms walking through the house. i think she liked it better up high so she could see stuff. for awhile i thought i would have to hold her all the time too, but i promise this phase passes :)
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• as long as he is lifting his head while you are holding him on your shoulder, or you can lay down with him and put him on your chest, this will help. its still strengthening his neck muscles, you don't have to do tummy time just for it to work.
    emmyjosmommy

Answer by emmyjosmommy at 10:23 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• If he can raise his head then let him. The fear of tummy sleep is that they will not be able to move their head if they can't breath. As far as tummy time awake, most kids do hate it for a while. They can't move really good and can't see as much unless they work really hard. Just work with him for a few minutes each day. Lay him on his tummy with some of his fav. toys and when he starts getting upset then let him go to his back. He will get it!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 10:50 AM on Dec. 23, 2008