Help with the car seat........please

My son is in a infant carseats he is now 9mo. 19lbs and 29in long. The infant carseat is getting kinda small and REALLY heavy. Is he to small to move up two the next size, What is the next size and witch was does it go?!??!?! Can you tell he is my first?

Thank you and Merry Christmas

Connersmom9956

Asked by Connersmom9956 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get a convertible seat !
    Connersmom9956

Answer by Connersmom9956 at 10:30 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Get a convertible car seat. Most will carry rear facing until 35 lbs and allow for longer legs. Then you can turn it forward facing when you and baby are ready and it may continue to hold him until you are ready for a booster. Many will go to 40-50 lbs. You want to keep him rear facing as long as possible, but at least until one year. By then he should be 20 lbs which is the other factor in determining when to switch your child forward.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:03 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• The rule in NC is 20 lbs and 1 year old. But, my son weighed 35 lbs at 1 year old, so I moved him forward facing at 8 months. Maybe I shouldn't have, but he was my first too. Talk to your local police station. they can tell you your local car seat laws.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 10:04 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• He needs to be rear facing and in a convertable carseat. My personal recommendation is the Britax Marathon, but if that is too pricey the True Fit is also a good seat. The Marathon rear faces to 35lbs and forward faces to 65lbs. I believe the True Fit rear faces to 35lbs but I'm not positive.

He needs to be rear facing for a MINIMUM of 20lbs AND 1 year. Preferably longer as that is safest. Even if he is 20lbs if he's under a year he cannot be turned around. His neck bone development will not be enough to protect him in a crash. Longer rear facing is safest.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 10:15 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Get a convertable seat, but make sure you keep him rear facing for as long as you can. It's so much safer than forward facing.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:16 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My infant goes up to 22 lbs, then get a convertable so it still sits rear until he's 30-40 lbs, whichever your waiting for!
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 10:24 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• you will have to find a carseat that fits the weight that he is now. mine is a convertible 5-100 lbs 19-52 inches. where i a from u need to be rear facing until baby is 20lbs AND 1 year old.
    CAarmywife

Answer by CAarmywife at 10:48 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Yeah, its perfectly acceptable to buy him a bigger seat. The next step is the convertible seat. I have the Eddie Bauer Alpha Omega Elite...runs about $120-$180. Just make sure hes rear facing for a little while longer. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:30 AM on Dec. 24, 2008