My son won't fall asleep

My three month old will not go to sleep on his own. He demands to be rocked to sleep. He will only sleep on his tummy. I've tried to let him calm his self down at night but he screams in pain. Looks like I've met my match. HELP!!!!

mama28th

Asked by mama28th at 10:03 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breast or bottle? He may have allergies...
    Or he may be wanting to spend some more quality time with Mommy. Your heart and intestines was all he heard for a long time. Maybe something that ticks, or they used to have a simulated heartbeat blanket, don't know anymore, my youngest is 11.
    anyway, Poor Mommy! Sleep when you can and take care to drink lots of water. Omega 3 is good for you right now too.
    KimPepperoni

Answer by KimPepperoni at 10:18 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• have you thought about co sleeping?
    emmyjosmommy

Answer by emmyjosmommy at 10:20 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My little boy was like this for the first few months. I would swaddle him, pat him till he fell asleep, then gently lay him in his crib. It usually worked! Routine is key, try giving him a warm bath and bottle right before you try to coax him to sleep. Don't worry about him liking to be asleep on you, it's a security thing right now. He won't get spoiled unless you continue to hold and rock him every night for months on end. He just wants to know he's with his mommy.
    Also, one trick that I use now: My son likes having his back patted while he sleeps. I can stop, but I can't lift my hand and walk away or he wakes up, so I get a stuffed animal and once he's asleep I replace my hand with the toy, Works everytime.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 10:43 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• As far as him sleeping on his tummy, mine did it. I know they say it increases SIDS, but I lost a neice and cousing to it and they weren't on their tummy. One was back sleeping, the other side sleeping. If it's meant to happen it will. Just be sure to remove all blankets, pillows and other objects that could obstruct his breathing. Don't go mad because some doctors think back sleeping is better. Do what's best for your child, that' s all you can do!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 10:45 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• i say do whatever it takes to help him fall asleep.
    i wouldn't put mine to sleep on his tummy, though.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:26 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I have too rock mine to sleep too, sometimes when im tired i rock him till he starts to get sleepy then i put him in his swing and i read a book till hes asleep then i pick him up and put him in his bed very carefully.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 23, 2008