Can you help me figure out what to do about a name?

I am divorced, but kept my ex-husbands last name so I would have the same name as my children. Now I am engaged to be married, and I am having trouble figuring out what to do. I want to take my new husbands name, but have a hard time with the idea of having a different last name from the kids. I have thought about hyphenating the two names, but am not sure I want that continued connection with my ex. Any suggestions or ideas?

Asked by ltlmamakoala at 1:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Relationships

• I was in the same situation and when I remarried I took my husbands name. When teachers call the house or address me sometimes they address me as Mrs. (my kids last name) but it doesn't bother me and I'm sure teachers have seen everything.

Answer by Eliza34 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Change it. It's common enough, and your new husband probably wouldn't like it if you keep your ex husband's name.

Answer by Jmum at 2:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My daughter and I don't have the same last name. I gave her her father's last name and to be honest I thought it was going to be the worse thing on earth but in the end its so common in today's world that it doesn't matter.
    I was always raised to believe in taking the man's name that you love, so, I think you should take his name.

Answer by Babyduche at 2:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• take his last name! My dad used to always tell me a woman that doesnt take a mans last name doesnt really love him.

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would take your new husband's name, it is very common now days for the kids to have different last names than their moms...but the school and sometimes the dr's still call you Mrs ( the kids last name)..I just go along with it!

Answer by robinann5 at 11:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2008