Why when I dye my hair a lighter brown only my roots turn?

The box said leave on 25-30 mins. So I left it on 35 mins and only the roots and not the rest get lighter. This is very frustrating! Someone help.

Dyvinite

Asked by Dyvinite at 8:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• If you want to go lighter, go have it done professionally.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:15 PM on Aug. 10, 2011

• If you have color on the shaft/ends, you can't lighten them with another color
    You'll need to decolorize those areas.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2011

• The browns, blacks, and reds only deposit color. There is not a lighteneing agent in them. So, that will happen. You probably need to go and have the color stripped and then a recolor if you want to go lighter.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2011

• because color doesn't lift color. if you spill dark brown dye on a shirt, you can't throw yellow on it to lighten the color of the dye, you'll need a stain remover or a bleach to help lift the color from the shirt right? same goes for hair. You'll need to have it decolorized (aka stripped aka bleached) if you want to lighten it. I suggest having a stylist do it for you because decolorizing hair can be difficult, and there are a lot of things you need to know about it before I would try it on your own.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2011

• basically what I mean, is you are only throwing more and more color into it, at best you might alter the shade slightly, but you can't go lighter with your hair without decolorizing because you need to lift some of the other pigments from the hair inorder to lighten it. Again same concept at the shirt.. throwing more color on top of color that's already there may change the shade but it's not going to get the stain any lighter.. The reason your roots change is because there isn't dye there, it's virigin hair at the roots (and roots tend to lighten faster than the rest of your hair anyways.. anothr reason to seek a stylist, because if you decolorize all over yourself, your going to end up with white roots and yellow/orange hair for the rest, if it doesn't fall out).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2011

• All of the above ^
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:37 PM on Aug. 12, 2011

• Dyes do not lighten the hair so if you use a lighter color over the dark the dark is going to stay righ where it is and the faded roots will take the dye
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:44 AM on Aug. 13, 2011