When did you stop using your baby monitor?

Just this weekend I turned off the monitor. My son is 11 months old. He's been getting up in the middle of the night and wants me to pick him up and bring him to bed with me. It was taking about an hour to get him to go to sleep. I decided to try letting him cry it out and he would cry for under 10 minutes and go back to sleep until morning. I turned off the monitor now. What are your thoughts and suggestions? And don't try to pull that guilt trip you're a bad mom crap on me. It won't work. But just wondering if anyone else has gone through this.

pilarash

Asked by pilarash at 2:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lol..Pilar, I never have had one, b/c they are always with me...still sleeping with me in the same room. Hubby had to move in another room...lol..I am not much help. You know me...a mess!!!
    SelmaP.

Answer by SelmaP. at 4:22 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I still use mine with DD (she's 2). We have a concrete block house and I'm always afraid I won't hear her if she really needs me. But that's just me.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 2:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I still use mine with my 15 month old, and imagine I will keep it for a while. He is my alarm clock. I do not get up with him in the middle of the night unless there is something wrong, which you can generally tell by the way he cries, or the persistance of it. Even if I am not with him, I still know what is going on by listening, and that makes me feel comfortable. My husband and I have 3 fans in our room that make it kind of impossible to hear outside the room.
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 2:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• LOL..monitors weren't invented when my own were babies...with the grandkids I never thought about one because I'd never had one I guess. Most Moms I talk to though use them up to about 2. Depends on your child. One neighbor only turns it on when she has the listening side outside with us when we are sitting out front at night.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I still use one for my two and a half year old. Our bedrooms are at different ends of the apartment. She's my alarm clock. I'd never hear her without the monitor. I also keep it on so I can hear if she wakes up in the middle of the night sick or upset by a bad dream. She's still in a crib, so she can't get up to tell me if something is wrong.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 3:31 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I would still use it incase he's crying for a more serious reason(example:his clothes are caught on his crib). But I don't think you're a bad mother for not wanting to get him out of bed. Its not a good idea to do that. Check on him if he starts crying to see if he's alright and if he appears okay, don't pick him up and let him sleep.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• i used one briefly with my san. i kept getting interference from other monitors. so i dont use them anymore. But i also live in an apartment. i dont really need one.
    CassieLee85

Answer by CassieLee85 at 3:06 AM on Jul. 16, 2008