Is it neglectful to NOT be able to play on the floor most of the day with my baby?

I have a 6 month old son, he loves to crawl around on the floor and play with his toy's. We spend about 2 hr's total per day on the floor playing. I can only chase after him, and sit on the floor for so long before my back start's to hurt a lot!! I also put him in his chair to watch his baby Einstein video, and in his exersaucer to play. This exersaucer is the 120 dollar one from baby's r us so he definitely has a ton of toy's on it to play with, plus the other one's I put on the tray. I also walk around with him holding his hands because he's learning to walk alrd. My main concern is that I'm not playing with him enough..for all the other mommy's out there of just one child, do you spend more time playing with your child? And is what I'm doing enough? I also read to him 1 book every day pretty much. And when my fiancé comes home, he gets on the floor with toy's and play's with him as well!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you're doing enough....I stay home with my 5 and half month old baby and its hard to play with her the whole time she's awake. After I feed her breakfast I let her jump in the doorway jumber for a little bit- then we play in the living room for alittle bit- then its nap time! When she goes for a nap- i feel like that is my time to read, or do email, or do what I want. When she is awake, thats when I clean and do laundry- i just tote her around with me in the Baby Bjorn. I let her watch baby einstein too- in her swing! I think you are doing enough- more than what most mommies do! You're a good mom- and you are totally doing enough:)
    danahj79

Answer by danahj79 at 11:08 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• The amount of time your child spends alone is just as important as the time he spends with you. It is highly underrated. Children need independent play time to figure things out for themselves and to learn how to entertain themselves. Neither of you will be happy if you are your child's entertainment 24/7. Cut yourself some slack...you're doing great!

ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Youre doing great. Babies don't need your 100% Undivided attention. They can usually self entertain. Its great to play with him, but don't get him used to needing you to entertain him. Life will change and it may get where you can't do that or you may have more kids one day. Teach him to play by himself for parts of the day. Also its great that hes got someone else to play with him too. Kids learn things all by themselves. Don't think he will never learn anything unless you teach him. Sounds like youre doing a good job.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:04 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• In my opinion as long as your child is not ignored when he asks for attention from you, you're doing just fine. It sounds like you do many things with your little man to begin with, and you want your child to develop some independence from you. Both my daugthers play very nicely on their own (2 and 4) and I would attirbute much of that to the fact that they played independently as babies.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 11:06 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• ANd I wanted to remind you there are the mommy's of Irish twins out there or who a partculary rough delivery that CAN NOT be on the floor 24 hours or even 4 hurs at a time. Their children turn out just fine. My girls are 22 months apart and I was ordered on total bedrest. There were days I could'nt do more than just hang out on the couch and watch some tv with my oldest dd.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 11:17 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Oh sweetie, it's ok to let your baby hang out by himself...you don't have to be in his face all the time. Sometimes to much stimulation can irriate a baby. Set his toys up around him, give him some interesting things to look at and let him be for a bit...he'll learn to entertain himself and he may appreciate the quiet time.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 11:47 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• i believe that as long as he spends as much time with you as you can its okay. most kids play well alone anyways but you can still do things with him that dont require being on the floor. im sure you baby would love to hear you sing to him and maybe when he gets old enough he can sing along with you and use your hands and body. if your happy and you know it... or even the itsy bitsy spider!
    lydiamama

Answer by lydiamama at 1:10 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• i do..i sing to him all day lol. His fav is you are my sunshine..and itsy bitsy spider.
    Anonymous