My son is about to be 4 and still wets the bed! How do I break him of the habit?

I've wakin him up at night to take him to the bathroom but it was taking away from my sleeping but he was doing better but how do i teach him to get up and go on his own?

05wintermom

Asked by 05wintermom at 11:02 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It could be that your son goes into a very deep sleep! That is probably the main reason. But also have you had him checked, by a doc to make sure there's no underlying medical reason for it? And could it be psychological? Once those 2 reasons are ruled out, I'd try just talking to him about it..and perhap's until he start's to go on his own, get him some pull up's!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Honestly you don't. Most kids sleep very deeply. Until they stop sleeping so deeply, or their baldder grows to accommodate then it won't stop. Do not shame the child. It is not something he can control. Most kids grow out of it around age 10, but I have a friend who's son is 14, and still no signs of stopping. I suggest a zip up mattress cover for under the sheet.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:06 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:08 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Well my son did that too.I know it was probably related to the fact that my husband and I were separted.Unconciounsly it happens sometimes like that .He came over and sat down and talked to him and told him he was never going to use diapers again and he stopped.
    monica277

Answer by monica277 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• First, drop the "how do I break him of the habit" thought. This is not a bad habit to break him of like picking his nose. Many kids simply are not physically ready to go all night, they sleep too deeply to realize they have to go, and/or their bodies don't slow down urine production overnight.

There are several steps you can take. First, limit all fluids within 2 hours of bedtime.
    Next, pick one of these:
    (1) Wake him before you go to sleep for a bathroom run.
    (2) Wake him about 2am and for a bathroom run. If he is still dry when you wake him, move it to 2:30 the next night. If he is wet, move it to 1:30. Keep doing that and adjusting the time until you find out what time he ususally wets. The wake him every night a half hour before that until he starts waking himself. This can take months.
    (3) Just keep putting him in GoodNight pants until he is 5. Then try a bedwetting alarm.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:48 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Thank you Kaycee. I was going to say the very same thing. This is not a bad habit. He really can;t help it. Four is not that old. I have a child who wet until she was 11. It just stops one day without warning. You can do a few things....go get him up everynight. Thats kinda annoying. Then you can get him an alarm to help wake him. Kind expensive with only moderate results. Or you can buy the good nights and leave him alone until he matures a little bit. My son is 7 and still wetting. Its most likely a genetic issue coupled with an immature bladder and deep sleep. By the time they are 6 or 7 or even a bit older, there are medications they can use. The side effects are minimal, but I would only do that in cases where the childs self esteem was diminishing rapidly. We did for my older daughter when she was about 8. It was her choice.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:58 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My daughter is about to be 4 and she also still pee's in the bed i got her the goodnights that are suppose to wake them when there wet, yea right a waste of $20 if u ask me she still does it and she is sooo ashamed i talked to my doctor and she said she'll grow out of it just give her time...So time is all that i can suggest.
    Patience531

Answer by Patience531 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• poor lil guy.... i hope he's ok. it'll pass i am sure!!!1
    Anonymous

• He's VERY little. In fact, it's normal for little kids to have accidents at night until they're much older than he is.
    You have great advice from Kaycee. Don't think of this as a habit, or anything he's doing wrong. Think of it as something he's just not old enough to do yet, and employ the tips she suggested to help.
    Also make sure that peeing is the LAST thing he does before you tuck him in.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 3:07 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• kaycee14, who wants to wake a sleeping child after they've already gone to sleep, only to have them wake up and not want to go back to sleep? The goodnight pants do sound like a good idea.
    Anonymous