What age do you think kids should know the truth about Santa?

wonderpetsmom

Asked by wonderpetsmom at 11:17 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Holidays

• I have 5 children between 10 and 2. I think that most children "know" at a young age but get the game and play along. I don't remember ever having an eye opening moment when I was little but I did not admit it till I was 10.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 11:22 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• i think children know sooner then we relize and play along either becuz they think its fun or they think they will hurt our feelings buy telling us the truth. I think most children by the time they get to first grade either have figured it out or are told by some other school kid.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My kids are 24 and 18. I still haven't told them about Santa. I always say when you believe you will receive Santa gifts. I still get Santa gifts!!!
    JulieJB

Answer by JulieJB at 11:51 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• NEVER !!! Christmas magic is something even I still believe in!!!! I will always believe in Santa...
    Merry Christmas to ALL...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 11:57 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• what truth?
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:44 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I think all kids should figure it out on their own. It's part of the fun. I think when they mature into the realization it isn't a shock. I've met a lot of people online whose parents sat them down at some arbitrary age and just blurted it out or had a friend tell them and were just hear-broken or felt betrayed because psychologically they weren't ready to deal with that.
    My kids are 8, 7, 6 and 2. I think the older two have figured it out (I think my oldest knew at 6) but don't want to admit it yet. They are way too smart to not see how silly the idea of Santa is. My 6yo believes 100% to the point she was in tears when she heard me teasing the other kids that Santa wasn't real. It took several minutes for me to reassure her that I was joking and Santa would still come. My 2yo has no clue what's going on yet.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My son is seriously into Santa this year....and his stupid 11 year old uncle and his stupid grandpa (on his father's side) are trying their damndest to ruin it for him. It really pisses me off. I think that kids should come to the realization on their own. Santa is part of the fun of Christmas. I believed in Santa until my Mom decided to put a sheet up on one side of the room to divide it so she could wrap presents where we wouldn't see. THAT is what hurt me. I never understood why she didn't just continue to tell us it was Santa and why she so blatantly let us know that it was HER buying the presents.
    ChelseySpelsey

Answer by ChelseySpelsey at 2:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I told all my kids from the get go that santa is just a nice story, that dad and mom buys the presents. I guess I do it because going up my sister was told around 8yrs old and she really felt like she had been lied to and took it really hard! I was 2 yrs younger and couldn't have cared less as long as I kept getting presents I didn't care who bought them!! LOL
    cainmom7

Answer by cainmom7 at 3:36 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• NEVER, let them find out on their own. My son knows there is no santa but I still act like there is. There is no harm in the santa clause story, just like the tooth fairy. Kids usually wise up.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 4:17 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• JulieJB ~ My parents told me the same thing and so I will believe as long as I receive...haha. I will tell my son the same thing.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2008