House training a puppy

Anyone have any tips? Its been a few mths now and he just isnt getting the hang of things. Im really frustrated with it. Any advice?

K-e-r-i

Asked by K-e-r-i at 11:17 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Pets

• Its been a long time since we had a puppy around. My dog is almost 5 and we had her since she was 2 and she was house trained when we got her. But when I was a kid we got two puppies and we would take them out every hour to hour and half and not let them in until they did something. Lots of praise when they did their job outside and no praise when they did it inside. That seemed to work for them. Good Luck and enjoy the puppy!!!!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:07 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• After eating and drinking, lock your puppy in the bathroom that is covered with newspaper or one of those blue chucks that you find at petsmart or petco. Make sure the whole floor is covered. Then slowly and patiently, take one chuck out for a period of time. Reward your puppy with a treat when he or she does her deed on the chuck ,that way there's reinforcement. This is how I did it with my puppy. It was hard to lock him in the crate cos he would beg to come out and end up making me feel guilty. If not, just make sure you walk your dog at least twice a day, once in the morning and after work. Make sure it's after meals! Dogs need their schedule and in that way they can learn how to hold themselves.
    Maiace

Answer by Maiace at 6:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2009