How old was your baby when you started cereal?

jhj4ever

Asked by jhj4ever at 11:32 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started it in his bottle at 2-4m... The formula wasnt filling him up...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• You should NEVER put cereal in a bottle and you should not give baby anything but breastmilk (or formula in extreme cases) for AT LEAST the first 6 months. Solids are not even needed untill 12 months
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 11:35 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• 6 months...check it out on www.kellymom.com There are these 'holes' in the babies guts and they can not handle cereal BEFORE 6 months!!!
    lionslambs

Answer by lionslambs at 11:48 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• 3 1/2 months with a spoon. I keep asking people for a link to explain all of these "holes" in a baby's "gut" but nobody seems to know anything about it. Strange. It almost sounds like people are just spouting off bs that they heard here or there because it scared them, so instead of doing their own research they just scare everyone else.
    Anonymous

• Here ANON, here is research. How much have you done?
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 12:11 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Ok, NAVYWIFE, it says nothing about "holes" it talks about open-gut, which basically means that food is passed into the bloodstream easier in young infants. And try getting a source with a little less bias than kellymom if you're going to convince me that I'm hurting my child. I've done plenty of research. He hit all of the developmental milestones needed for solid feeding by 3 1/2 months. Don't ASSume that someone is ignorant or uneducated just because they choose a different parenting style than you do. When you describe open gut as "holes" it makes you sound like just another breastfeeding nazi out to scare everyone.

So chill.
    Anonymous

• 1 month old.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My Doctor, and every doctor I know says 4-6 months. However, sometimes they recommend it in the bottle earlier if the baby needs it. I don't know how happy a baby would be if you never fed it anything other than breast milk for the first year of their life. I got fed a bit of rice cereal the first night home from the hospital and I'm totally fine. My pediatrician insisted that my mom do it.

Every baby is different. Some want food sooner while others have no interest. I only say this because it seems that navy wife needed to be reminded of it. And formula only in extreme cases? PLEASE!
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 1:03 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I started just shy of 4 months too. I did my research, weighed the pros and cons, and went with my mommy gut.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 1:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• did your mommy gut have holes in it? haha.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 1:14 PM on Dec. 23, 2008