Which is more important in a church?

Is it more important that you feel comfortable with the people you go to church with, and have a lot of friends, or is it more important to go to a church where they preach what you feel is the true Gospel of Jesus Christ?

So often I see people say things like I went to this church but the other people in the church were so judgmental that I left.......to me it is much more important to find a church that preaches what you know in your heart is true, then to go to one where you do not feel like you are being taught the truth, but where you have a lot of friends and acquaintances. No one in this world is perfect, and I do not think you should expect to have a church where everyone likes you and acts like you. You can however find a church where everyone believes in Christ (or any other being) like you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe both is equally important. You need to be taught and learn new things and grow but you also need christian fellowship. Without both.. i feel church is pointless =)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Ultimately, it's the Word of God that's the most important. I was in a situation at church where I felt that the congregants weren't that friendly, so I left. But lo and behold I came back to that church and the Lord confirmed that it was where I needed to be. If the Word of God is being preached without compromise, I say stay where you are. God will deal with those who are so judgemental.
    marlarrie

Answer by marlarrie at 12:01 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Depends what your goal is. If you feel the church isn't the problem but the people are, find ways to be an example of the kind of person you would like to interact with. "Be the change you wish to see."
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Where they preach what i feel its true.and where i feel the Holy Ghost.
    Feeling accepted and making friends comes after.
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• The preaching must be true......doesn't matter to me if I get along with anyone or not.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• They are both important. First thing is making sure they are teaching the Truth of Gods Word. You dont want to sit in a church that is contrary to your beliefs even though you have friends there. It will eventually begin to affect you. There are a lot of good churches and its usually easy to find one that has an agegroup for everyone. We moved to our current location about 2 yrs ago and we left a lot of friends at church. Some of my best friends, actually. The pastor there had only been there about 6 mos and he began to make cult like changes in the structure. It was unlike anything I had ever seen. The key to knowing when things arent right is listening to your spirit. Discernment is very important. good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I think they are equally important. I would never go to a church where I was looked down on and didn't feel welcome. But I also want a church that teaches the bible. Calvary Chapels are great churchs for these exact reasons. And they are countrywide. I can send you a link to find one in your area if you are interested.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Both are nice but teaching of the true Gospel is most important.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 1:12 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Where the teach the word of God and allow the flow of the Holy Spirit.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:30 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Truth, most definitely! What good is a comfortable church with many friends and no truth? I can socialize at home.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 2:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2008