what do you do when your stressed cause of crying baby?

i have a very colic baby ans it gets hard sometimes....so when i get stressed from the baby crying i go outside and smoke to calm down. they say babies can tell when you are stressed so when you are stressed and the baby is crying it makes it worse.

Do you think its okay to go outside and have a smoke even tho the baby is still crying?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as you put your baby in a safe place (crib, playpen) then it's better to step away then be frustrated raising both of your stress level.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I think you shouldn't smoke when you have a kid.... well actually not at all because of what it does to you and what it does to those of us that choose not to smoke. When my lil guy cries and I can't figure out what to do with him I either jump in the shower and put him in his bouncer in the bathroom with me (the steam calms him down and he goes to sleep) or I hand him off to his daddy and walk away until I calm down.
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• No, I don't think thats okay, but then again, I don't think shaking your baby to death becaues you stressed is okay either. I would rather you go smoke then do that. Maybe you should try soothing the baby. Are you breastfeeding? He may have colic from formula is not and you should try relactating.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 11:52 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• You're doing fine. It's hard to leave your baby crying, but if you are that stressed out then yes, your baby will feel it and it will upset him. I was lucky to have a very happy baby, but after his 4 month shots he had a reaction and spent three days screaming. It was horrible. Toward the end I just couldn't handle it. So I laid him in his crib, gave him a binkie and a kiss, closed the door, and went outside to have a smoke. By the time I came back in he was asleep.

Do use some caution with the smoke though. Wear a special jacket that is only for smoking so that it doesn't get on your clothes, and always wash your hands afterwards. Pulling your hair back or wearing a hat is good also. Smoke really is bad for babies, and even just smelling it on you can upset the baby more.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 11:54 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• What are you going to do????? Think its fine, there just going to cry anyway... But i would look for ways to calm them: rock them, turn a radio on, run the vaccum, put them in there swing, bounce chair, just try everything... Im sorry thats all i got, Jesse was a colic baby and i was stressed to the max but you just have to learn what you can do to calm down yourself... Cause yes they can sense stress and then you will have to start all over... For you i would dance around in the kichen to feel goofy and that should relive some, do some situps or push ups, anything to push you to your limits on SOMETHING else!!!
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• i think thats fine like #1 post said make sure they are in a safe place. I think its good that dont smoke around your kids. some people can be rude on the subject #2 post, thats my opinon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Also, if you want to talk away from all of the judgement, feel free to PM me. It amazes me how unsupportive some women are in here.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 11:55 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• post #4 yes i do wash my hands and wear a different coat when i go outside.
    Ive tried everything it seems like. rock her, do the 5 S's vaccum sing ive out her in the car seat and sat it and the dryer ( for the viberations) ive don ethe swing bouncy chair it seems like nothign works and im here by myself with no help (husband works)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• if you want to go smoke a joint to calm your nerves, feel free. Its better then getting aggravated and doing harm to your baby!

Are you bf, or formula feeding? My twins had colic horribly. If you are formula feeding, try a formula called Nutramigin. Its a Enfamil product. Its did wonders for my twins.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 12:01 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Have your tried a sling or baby wrap that might help your baby will feel close to you and your hands are free to do what you need to do during the day. As for smoking as long as the baby is not having a fit and is just fussing then I think it's okay especially if you feel stressed Good luck

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 12:07 PM on Dec. 23, 2008