This is not to cause drama just a simple question on what you think..

Why is it when people lose their job or get laid off.. they would rather sit around and not work until they get rehired or until they lose everything?? Why won't people just go to walmart or mcdonalds or something that sure pays minimum wage.. but at least its an income and your still trying to support yoursel for your family.. I'm currently watching a family member go through this. He would rather lose everything then go get a job actually at another place like where he worked just alot smaller and alot older equipment and he would make a few dollars less.

I don't understand it.

krazyash023

Asked by krazyash023 at 12:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Money & Work

• I know the people you are talking about and they drive me crazy too. I would at least try like hell to get another job. But you do have to realize that it is very hard to even get a job at mcdonalds or walmart right now. So at least some of them really aren't being lazy, it's just very hard right now to find anything.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Because people let their pride get in their way. That's just pathetic to me.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I've seen it too and it bugs me because I know I would do anything if it meant keeping a roof over our heads and food on our table.
    Anonymous

• Last time I got laid off I took a job at Taco Bell. I am actually a manager there now making more than I was at the bank I got laid off from.
    Anonymous

• I lost my job and I have been busting my hump to try to find another job...even McDonald's and Burger King. I can't get another job because the market is so bad right now. In my case it's not laziness, it's that the jobs are not always available.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 12:12 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I had a friend apply for a checker position at walmart. She had just moved back home from HOuston where she had an great job and they told her that they felt she was too experienced to work as a checker. Hello this is a town of 3000 people, there isn't a lot of places for people with her experience. She use to work for somesort of mortgage company and made like 10000 a month.
    Anonymous

• Right, there are people that cannot find something, and then there are people that are not looking. In about the last 5 years, this town has doubled. EVERYONE was hiring for about 2 years. SS BM wasn't working and was saying that she couldn't find a job. Now, I could see that as a valid argument, even here where we had enough jobs for two counties just 8 months ago. However, up until then, there was no shortage of jobs, she just didn't want to work. We have custody but she is supposed to pay child support and she can't because she doesn't work.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Sometimes the weekly pay on Unemployment outweights the lower wage paid by a job.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• when i have seen this, it is because of their pride. they seem to think that those types of jobs are only for the uneducated and such. it really is a sad thing.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• see where i live... there are signs everywhere sayig hiring or help wanted. I know alot of places aren't but its just like I just got a job no problem being a STNA. Its a great job for how times are today.. It's a state job making almost 15 dollars an hour, but i had worked at sears for two years prior. But I know all towns are different! I would just bust my butt if we needed the money to find a job!!

TO ME my pride would be gone if i lost everything rather than working to keepw hat i had
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 23, 2008