i have 3 kids that don't listen. what can i do?

gimmietherapy

Asked by gimmietherapy at 2:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Girl I know what you mean!! I have 5 kids but three don't mind me either. I tried spanking them. (not beating them. There is a differnce), time out (they laugh at it), taking toys away, t.v., nothing helps. If you find something that does let me know too please!!
    StacieBerry

Answer by StacieBerry at 3:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• If they are under 7 yrs, then use their natural impulse for imitation at this age. Talk less - a LOT less. Time to pick up toys? YOU start picking up, include them by having them hold the basket while YOU put things into it, have them hold the other end of the sheet and work together to fold it up.(Of course you have to be the only show on for this to work - I never had a TV in the house while my three were younger than 9) If they are un-demented by TV, children naturally LOVE to do things WITH you. You can't call out orders from the couch or the kitchen –( this remains true until they leave for college!) Also, for the routine things: coming to eat, washing hands, getting dressed, waking up, hopping into bed; you would do well to use songs and not to talk at all about it. A simple song about the sunshine or morning while you pull back the shades or stir up the oatmeal creates so much more happiness than “Nathan! It’s time to get up!” … cont’d
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I used a simple round which sings Hallelujah, hallelujah, a-a-men, a-a-men for calling them to the table. I introduced it by simply singing it while I put food onto the table, and kept singing it while I took their hand or picked them up and brought them to the table. Then when we were assembled we would say a little grace and eat. Pretty soon, the song brought them to the table automatically. A pretty dinner bell is helpful, too, but it’s hard to keep ringing it while you have your hands full with serving dishes or carrying a baby. Heading to the bathroom was “Wash hands, wash! The men have gone to plow. When it’s time to wash your hands; wash your hands now!” Very elementary. Melodies like Twinkle twinkle little star or Mary had a little lamb - sweet, child melodies – will lift their spirits with gladness when you sing them with gladness. You set the tone for them with your tone of voice. One last tip: whisper! :-)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I have to be real with my kids. When they help Daddy or Grandma cook, they can act however they want to. But when they help me, they have to remain calm. If they get too loud or boistrous I cannot take the stress/ anxiety. I tell them.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:34 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• When we were kids, we always got what we needed.But, if we wouldn't listen to what our parents told us to do, they wouldn't give us the things we wanted.That, and we either got the spanking or the time out.We didn't get to play.We didn't get to go outside.We didn't get treats or dessert.We didn't get to watch t.v.We didn't get to talk on the phone.We didn't get anything we wanted as long as we decided that we wouldn't do what our parents told us.This was very,very boring and painful and eventually we did as we were told.That also help us not take our parents and everything they worked so hard for us to have for granted.
    callico

Answer by callico at 1:41 AM on Jul. 15, 2008