I have colored hair and product build-up---what can I use??

I have colored hair and recently I have been noticing my hair isn't as shiny and soft as it usually is. It's pretty healthy, so I believe it's just product build up. I've heard about doing a vinegar rinse, but then I read that it is not recommended for color-treated hair, as it will strip the color. Is this true? OR are there any other alternatives to getting rid of the build-up without stripping away my color?

By the way, I just switched shampoo/conditioner brands as I know using the same one after too long, loses the quality of the shampoo and conditioner.

sugarmama01

Asked by sugarmama01 at 12:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• I color my hair and I use Apple Cider Vinegar too. I just don't do it very often... It hasn't caused any problems for me...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Wash your hair with your regular shampoo mixed with baking soda. This strips all the gook out of your hair.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• make sure your not using a protein shampoo/conditioner because that can dull out your color too. i would say to try a deep conditioner and leave it on 15-20 minutes. Bed Head (TIGI) has a great deep conditioner!
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 1:08 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Mix baking soda and vinegar together in a bowl and use that as your shampoo. That will really clean your hair and leave it pretty soft too.
    Sometimes for a deep conditioning treatment I warm coconut oil in the micro first and put that all over my hair and leave it for 30 minutes before washing.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Dawn dish soap will strip your hair also. i would wash with that for a week. and suave is the best "cheap" shampoo and conditioner for your hair. It doesn't have alot of stuff in to that builds up like pantene pro v. I use dove. I love it. But i would wash with Dawn and see how that works for ya
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Baking soda! I have the same problem and it's not as hard on you color as dandruff shampoo. I put it on the roots before I shampoo so it gets worked in where I need it

Angie430

Answer by Angie430 at 9:15 AM on Dec. 24, 2008