How can I teach my son not to say "Ow" when he's not hurt?

My DS has lately begun to yell "Ow" for no reason. Normally he does this when he's being held and doesn't want to be. I'm guessing it's because he doesn't know how else to express himself but it's really upsetting to me and his daddy to the point where we almost don't want to handle him for fear of hearing "ow! ow! let go me!" He will even do this when he's in his high chair for timeout and no one is around him!

BeckNAiden06

Asked by BeckNAiden06 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hes just trying to get your attention. If you know hes not hurt and he needs to be where hes at, then ignore him. He will find other words. Usually things like that are phases that kids go through and just when you think its over, he will go through another phase....its the way kids are.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:20 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Kids are smart and he's figured out that OW will get him what he wants. My son has learned uh-oh. He does something he's not suppose to and follows it with uh-oh. He's finally starting to learn that mommy and daddy know when he did something on purpose. Just learn to ignore the ow. He'll figure out it doesn't work anymore. Good luck!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 3:04 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My DD does this same thing, at first I thought it was cute/funny. Til she did it in public and people looked at me like I was beating my kid lol. I wish Iknew how to stop it, but these answers have helped me lol
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:24 AM on Dec. 24, 2008