do breastfeed babys burp

i have a 5 weeks old son who was on breaast milk while in the hospital. he was in the nicu for 1 week after birth due to allergy to his milk. so i pumped and sent it to the nicu. well i lost my supply cause all i could do was pump. today i noticed milk still in my breast and i put him on it. he did fine. but i dont know if they burp after taking the breast i couldnt get him to also if im breastfeeding even though he is already 5 weeks will i still keep a suply

mom-to-be21

Asked by mom-to-be21 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, he still needs to burp. There are a few methods that work for different babies. I had to lay my son down over my knees while I was sitting to get a burp out of him.

Also, breastmilk works on supply and demand. The more you feed him and pump, the more likely you will be to get your supply back up to what he needs. Good luck!
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 1:17 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• you shouldn't have lost your supply by pumping thats all i did was pump. just start pumping every time your baby eats.. to produce more and yes your baby still needs to burp

good luck!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:19 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Was he allergic to breast milk in the hospital? (I'm a little confused.) Yes, bf babies burp. Not as much as bottle fed though. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:19 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My DS burps just as loud as my hubby and hes BF
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• no he wasnt allergic to beast milk he is alergic to the formula they tried him on. he is allergic to cows milk
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 1:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Losing your supply when you exclusively pump from the start seems to be a common problem, but if you can get things restimulated by putting baby to your chest, I'd go for it! You won't regret it!

As for the burping, yes, he still needs to be burped.

I'm confused about the allergy as well...you were giving your baby cow's milk?!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• mostly i think it depends on how much they eat. i breastfeed and sometimes she doesnt burp if she doesnt eat that much and some times she does. And he wont burp as much as he did when bottle fed because they dont swallow a bunch of air. but he will burp just be patient sometimes it takes a little while. And the more you breastfeed the more milk you will supply. You will supply as much as he needs.
    lynnroze

Answer by lynnroze at 2:19 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• He wont burp every single time he eats and it goes ..supply and demand the more you pump the more milk you'll make..Drinks lots of water or juice..
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 2:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Yeah...both DD and DS burped like grown men!!! UGHHH!!!! With DD, she was in the NICU for a 3 weeks before she had surgery so all I could do was pump...it's all about how often you pump...I pumped 8 to 12 times a day!!! But once my milk supply was established (it was...2 1/2 8 oz bottles at each pumping), I cut back to 5 to 6 times a day....it's all about supply and demand...BF babies eat to live, not live to eat...so they'll stop when they've had enough and want to suck more when they're going through a growth spurt....which'll make your supply go up to keep up with the demand...Good Luck!!!
    moore_me03

Answer by moore_me03 at 11:25 PM on Dec. 23, 2008