Question about falling

My son just pulled up for the first time on his toy shelf. He stood there for a while and then let go of his hands to play with the toy and fell backwards. He didn't fall on hi butt, he fell straight back on his back and hit his head on the floor. It looked like he hit it pretty hard. He cried for a few minutes and then I was able to distract him. Do you think he is okay? Should I call his pediatrician? He seems okay now but he did hit his head pretty hard.

jacy3031

Asked by jacy3031 at 1:22 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• nope he's fine and he will do it many many times til he learns to balance better. trust me i was scared when my son was doing it too but its normal
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:22 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I think he is fine only because of what you say. If he isn't crying anymore or "acting" different he is good. I would wait for a nap though at least an hour after hitting his head.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Should be fine. All kids bump their heads...alot and pretty hard. As long as he isn't acting strange, like suddenly fatigued or sleepy he should be fine. Watch him a little while, but I'm sure he's fine!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 1:50 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• if he was tired right after you might need to but then again he may have been tired before my daughter is starting to walk and has fallen and hit her head alot but she is fine all you can do for them is pick them up and let them try again if your floor doesnt have carpet you might want to buy the floor mat things for where he plays most to pad his bumps
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 7:36 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• He's okay....it's when they hit the sides of their heads that you should worry....or if they fall from a distance equal or higher than their own height....
    moore_me03

Answer by moore_me03 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2008