My son's bowel movements have changed.

I'm just starting to wean him onto formula. It's been about 2 weeks and so far he's doing really well, but he's not having bowel movements much. He used to have several a day and now he's only having one about every two days. This time though, its been almost three whole days and I'm getting worried. Is everything ok or is there anything I can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well the formula is different to his systm and he is getting used to it but three days is a long time not to poo. try usin karo syrup like two or three ounes of water with a dollop of dark karo syrup in it. if that doesn't help prune juice works i give it to my daughter to regulate her and it helps how old is he? if you don't wnat to try prune juice try warm apple juice
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Depending on how old he is, if he is close to 6 months, try an equal parts juice and water. That helps. Another lady I talked to said that she pureed prunes and mixed them with milk (breast/formula) and fed them to the baby and that worked for her.
    blackwellqk

Answer by blackwellqk at 2:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My son has been on formula since he was born. After a few weeks he started having bowel movements every few days, and I was getting worried. He started having more gas problems as well. We had him on Enfamil LIPIL with Iron. I called the doctor and he said to give him sugar water -- 3 oz of water with a teaspoon of sugar, or Karo syrup -- 2 oz of water with a teaspoon of syrup. We started doing the sugar water, and that seemed to work a little bit. We then switched him to Enfamil Gentlease. It has helped his stomach problems A LOT! And we still give him Karo syrup about once a week or when he seems to be straining a bit.

If you are really worried, call your doctor. I was calling all the time when my son had the problems. It'll help ease your mind. Doctors are all different too, and some don't recommend the sugar water and syrup, so see what he says! It'll ease your mind for Christmas day!

Anonymous

• sometime if you lay the baby on his back andpush his legs up so his knees touch his belly like hes sitting in a chair. count to 3 then pull them back down, and repeat.that use to work for my nephew.
    lynnroze

Answer by lynnroze at 2:08 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• How old is he? Is he acting constipated, or just not pooping? Babies will go through phases where they won't poop for days (like my guy, he goes about every three). They start hanging onto every bit of nourishment they get when they go through growth spurts. It's quite a rapid change from when they're brand new and have several poops a day and then only go to one or less. If he's comfortable, don't worry about it!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:20 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Also something to keep in mind is that Breastmilk is a natural laxative, and it is normal for BF babies to have bm's all the time.

You will find that on formula he will #1 not go as often and #2 when he does go it will be more solid (still soft and whatnot, but nothing like a breastmilk bm)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2008