baby cereal and breastfeeding

i took my baby to the doctors 2 weeks ago and he told me i can start him on baby cereal. but at 4 months? i thought your not suppose to give them cereal until their about 6 to 8 months. even if i wanted to i dont know how to start, he doesnt like anything in his mouth other than his paci or my boob. i tried pumping and giving it to him in a bottle, but even that trick doesnt work.. what should i do?!

maxi169

Asked by maxi169 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cereal should NEVER go in a bottle... that being said, if you are ready to starty your baby on cereal then do, if you are't wait until 6 months. my little guy started at 5 months because the bottle just wasn't gettin him full. but first with cereal do about a tablespoon and mix it with a lot of breastmilk so it's more liquidy than solid. try that 1 feeding a day until you make sure that he doesn't have an allergies. ( about 3-5 days) once you know he's not allergic to cereal then try green foods first bcause they ten to be more bland, slowly introduce... thats pretty much the key and only when you are ready
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 2:03 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Well first off, I am going to assume that you are a stay at home mom, otherwise I would ask why hasn't he ever taken a bottle or is even use to a bottle by now. If he won't take a bottle, then what I did, although my daughter does fine with breast or bottle, is that I got baby feeding stuff, spoons, bowls, etc. Mix some cereal into a bowl with milk, breastmilk, to the desired consistency. Since he is a beginner, make it pretty runny...when he gets used to it, you can thicken it up.
    blackwellqk

Answer by blackwellqk at 2:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Feed that to him on the spoon. At first, he may spit it back out, that is due to still having the thrust reflex. Try again in like a week in he does, if in a week same thing, wait another week. In terms of the age thing,you don't have to wait until then for cereal. Baby food can wait until 6 months, but cereal doesn't necessarily. Now I will say that if there is realy no reason to start, like he is content with just milk, then don't, but if he isn't then this may help.
    blackwellqk

• Whatever you want. My dd's pedi said the same thing and I didn't even offer it until she was 6 months and at 9 months now she still will have baby food maybe 1-2 times a day. I offer it but I don't force it at all and she just isn't really into it yet. Her doctor at this point wants me feeding her 3 meals of baby food a day and only nursing 3-4 times...that's not happening. My dd is growing just fine and she prefers to nurse and I nurse her on demand. They don't need it, for the first year they get everything they need nutritionally from BM. Go with your own judgment and add cereal and other foods when you think your son is ready to try them.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 2:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• but the thing is even if i wanted to start him on cereal..i cant get it in his mouth.. he spits out anything thats not breastmilk
    maxi169

Answer by maxi169 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Your doctor is wrong. He's not following the recommendations set forth by the American Academy of Pediatrics, the World Health Organization, the US Department of Health and Human Services and UNICEF, all of whom say NO SOLIDS UNTIL 6 MONTHS! You are absolutely right in thinking you should wait and that your baby isn't ready. Here is an article you may be interested in. It explains exactly why you should wait, http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 2:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Some of the spitting it out is just because he isn't used to the texture of the cereal. He's learning how it feels in his mouth and how to use his tongue to get it to the back of his mouth to swallow it. You could try making it runnier or thicker and see if that makes a difference, he may prefer it one way over the other. Otherwise, just offer it as often as you'd like and don't force the issue.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 2:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Cereal is not at all necessary, particularly the baby cereals. Regular (whole grain) oatmeal is more nutritious for your baby. Many doctors recommend iron-fortified rice cereal as baby's first food because it is less likely to cause an allergic reaction and because most babies sometime after the 6th month require an additional iron source other than mother's milk. If your baby starts solids around 6 months or later, there is much less chance of allergic reaction to foods. It's debatable whether healthy breastfed babies need the extra iron (you can get baby's iron levels checked if you're worried about this). In addition, infants need lots of protein and cereal has a low protein-calorie ratio (even lower when mixed with water or fruit). Many experts (including LLL) suggest giving meat or other foods naturally rich in iron instead of foods with added iron

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/first-foods.html
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 2:10 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Your doctor is not wrong, he's determining what is best for YOUR baby. There is no set age for a child to do ANYTHING at. Are they all supposed to crawl at eight months? No. They all develop in different ways at different times. Your doctor is not going to have you do anything harmful to your baby! If you're not ready that's one thing, but your baby might be able to take it sooner than you think.

That being said, since you can't bottle feed your baby, I'd go for the spoon. The first feedings of cereal for a baby are supposed to be EXTREMELY watered (milked) down. My guy gets one tablespoon of cereal to two ounces of breastmilk. He basically gets the flavor, otherwise there is very little texture change. This is how my doctor told me to do it, and it's exactly what it says to do on the box! Apparently some of the other commenters don't know how to read....
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• No need to rush the cereal if your baby is satisfied with what he's getting. I started my daughter at 5 and a half months when she stated showing signs that she might like to start eating. She would watch us very closely while we ate and was getting to where she was not satisfied for very long after eating. Waking up early from naps hungry at 2-2 and a half hours when we were going 3-4 hours between meals. Read your baby you will know when it is time to start.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2008