weight gain =(

Hi moms!

I am about 33 weeks pregnant and already gained 40 pounds. My weight before I got pregnant was 110 and I'm only 5'1. I am freaking out since I still have over a month to go.
I know that we're suppose to only gain 25-35 pounds, but wondering if anyone gained more than that and had no problem during labor/delivery.
Now that it's getting closer to my due date...I'm getting scared that I'm going to have some complications during labor. As for the size of my belly, the doc said it's on schedule.

If anyone can give me some advice or their experience....that would be great~

Happy Holidays!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I am 36wks and weigh 160lbs... 5'3". Ive been lil my whole life and when I started I was about 125lbs. My doc said that I am right on track b/c I am just gaining in my belly and boobs. He told me that smaller women sometimes gain more. the 25-35lbs rule is just an average. Congrats and good luck
    Babyclark08

Answer by Babyclark08 at 2:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• He also said I might gain another 5-10lbs before it was over* sorry I meant to put that in my answer
    Babyclark08

Answer by Babyclark08 at 2:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I gained 50 pounds, 15 of it within the last few weeks -- and I had my son at 37 weeks. Most of it was fluid. 2 weeks afterwards, I was 5 pounds away from prepregnancy! Everyone is different, but dont' get down on yourself about the weight. Enjoy your last few weeks! I've heard that you don't gain too much the last month usually. Congratulations!
    Anonymous

• I weighed 115 pounds and was 5'6'' When I went into labor I was 172 pounds-OUCH! Everything went fine though and I had a healthy baby:) Good luck!!
    Anonymous

• that "25-35 lbs gain" is only statistics, but like the other girls said. Everyone is different. at first my dr said 40 was ok for me to gain, and then i gained 50 and said i was all baby and we were both very healthy :)
    ashcoyle

Answer by ashcoyle at 2:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• im 5'0 and weighed 100 before i was pregnant and gained 50 lbs had the perfect pregnancy and delivery. as long as your dr isn't worried you shouldn;t be either
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 2:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Don't worry, your doc would tell you if you had a problem. I was 110 and 5'4 when I got pregnant and gained exactly 50 pounds. I was light to begin with, so my doctor told me to ignore the suggested numbers and put on some extra, since I needed some meat on my bones, anyway. I *did* end up 9 pound, 4 ounce baby, but he was 23 inches long, so he wasn't chubby, you know? He's super healthy, so oh well!

The bad part about the weight gain is that it *wasn't* all belly, even though everyone thought it would. Now that I've lost most of the weight, I see where it's been hanging out: my thighs! Oh well, it's not like he wasn't worth it!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Don't worry about gaining too much weight. Not everyone loses it right away and some lose it before they leave the hospital. Personally it took me 6 months to get to prepregnancy but I used Weight Watchers to help me.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 2:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• i'm 5'7 and i've gained 40 lbs during my pregnancy, i'm 36 weeks, but everyone's body is different. some people's bodies hold on to fat more than others. my mom went though the same thing, shes 5'8, pre-pregnancy weighs 120, but with me she gained 45 lbs, but she had a fine labor and dieted afterwards and got back down to her normal weight. i feel like crap when my dr. tells me i've gained alot of weight. i eat alot cuz i'm always hungry, but she said eat healthier things in large potions (even though i wanna eat the can of frosting) but she said for 100 calories i can have an entire bag of pop corn, but only like two bites of cake is 100 calories. it's really hard to choose celery over what i'm craving, but dont completely cut out fat all together. during pregnancy you need more calories than normal.
    Anonymous

• thanks everyone! This really helps!
    Anonymous