How do I get my 3 year old to STAY in her room even if she wakes in middle of night.

My 3 year old has been getting out of bed the past 4 nights. She gets up and gets in to things aroudn 2 or 3 am. I have had it last night she opened xmas presents, pulled down stockings, gave cats there presents, pushed a chair to counter and put dora stool on top of counter then got pancake mix, waffel iorn, peanut butter, and nestle mix down. She then put it all in the waffel iron and made a waffel i guess. SHe plugged it in and went to bed. Took the last of the nestle and dumped in in a glass of mil that she got for her self and fell asleep. For some odd reason I woke at 4 am and all the lights were on so I knew something was up the stuff in waffel iorn was just starting to burn. How do I get her to stay out of things?

BluntLadee

Asked by BluntLadee at 2:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Put a little potty in her room, give her a nightlight, and lock her in.

Did you know that scared kids will hide in cupboards and closets? When a house burns and a child is missing, the firemen know they will proably find the body there. If there is an emergency in the night, do you want to search the whole house for her or do you want to know she is in her room? Do you want her dragging a chair over to the front door and spending who knows how long playing with the locks until she figures out how to unlock the front door? Do you want her turning on the stove and pretending to cook a box of cereal - still in the box?

Keep her safe. Keep her in her room. If you can't hear her, put the baby monitor back in her room.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• put a baby gate in front of her door. DON'T lock her in her room- because in case of any emergency it'll be hard to get to her. maybe after she's asleep lay down in her room with her. i dunno- just some suggestions.
    Anonymous

• Simple options for locking her in are a simple hook and eye lock or putting a door knob on that has the push button lock on the outside. If you use her own door knob, simply turning the knob will unlock it for you.

Another option is to get a door alarm. If she opens her door, the alarm goes off. Just do a search for them at Amazon.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• The baby gate sounds like a good idea, but I WOULD NOT lock her in there
    Anonymous

• We use a baby gate in our house, but it really doesn't keep them in if they're determined enough. My 4 year old will climb it. She figured out how to open the gate to the kitchen in less than 3 days, then taught her 2 year old sister how to do it. She's gotten up early to make Daddy coffee (you don't even want to know what all she put in the coffee...) and gets in the pantry... anything and everything. She also knows how to unlock the door and has gone outside. We have locks on the pantry now and make sure appliances and stuff are unplugged. It's too cold for her to want to go out early, but we'll have to get chain locks for the doors soon. She's our oldest so we have 2 more after her to try to outsmart!

The alarm someone else suggested sounds like a great idea.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Before you lock your child in their room, think about how you would liked to be locked in your room and not able to get out.
    Don't leave any presents under the tree, and put a gate up in the kitchen.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 4:31 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My two year old climbs baby gates. But then again...my 4 and 3 year olds won't even try it. Go figure.

Shut her door. Put a cover on the handle inside the room so she can't open the door. The door is shut and she can't get out of her room. She's not locked in so no one will say anything. (but then again, in an emergency I KNOW I could bust our doors down in a heartbeat)

She's safer being locked in her room than getting out and using electrical appliances in the middle of the night!!!

I'd also suggest child locks on the kitchen cabinets...and a monitor in her room. If she can do all that without being heard...well...I'd have a monitor with the volume turned all the way up.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• The baby monitor is a good idea. Also try cabinet safety locks that you get for childproofing your home. When you hear her get up at night, walk her back to bed and do not give in. Also try watching what she eats and drinks several hours before bed time. It could be something in her diet that is making her restless.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:36 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• We've been going through this but not to your extent. At least our 3 year old is just waking us up to come in our room or have someone come into his. We talked to the pediatrician and she suggested that we get up about 15 minutes prior to him waking and wake him up, take him to the bathroom, give him a drink of water and then bring him back to bed. The reason is to break the cycle of this sleep, wake pattern. If your bedrooms are located together in a hallway, I'd put up a gate in the hallway. I'm a light sleeper when it comes to the kids so I wake up as soon as they do. Would the monitor wake you up? Also, you can get the door alarms and put it on her bedroom door so when she wakes and goes out the door, it would wake you up. Good luck!!
    Free2bmom

Answer by Free2bmom at 11:44 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Lock her in? What kind of parent would do that?
    I suggest locks on cabinets,putting things up where she can't reach them, plug safety outlets, and discuss w/ your dd about safety and getting u when she needs something. Definately get a monitor too
    nightowlmama4

Answer by nightowlmama4 at 11:49 PM on Dec. 23, 2008