How can I get my youngest to stop cyring about every little thing?

you tell her no, she crys. She gets a little scrap and she is screeming bloody murder. If you tell her no for a snack when its really late she has a melt down

goofy_Kristy

Asked by goofy_Kristy at 2:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Little girls tend to go through phases like that. As long as she's healthy otherwise, you may just have to wait it out. I am assuming that you don't give in when she does it. It can be a form of manipulation on her part. You know how smart we women are! LOL Good luck, honey!
    PLCL

Answer by PLCL at 2:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• my little boy does that too time out calms him down alot though.
    Tayleina

Answer by Tayleina at 3:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Wyatt is that way too. It's SOOOOo annoying. I have tot either ignore it (if we're in the store or something) or time out at home. Good luck.
    Moomie

Answer by Moomie at 3:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• ignore the screaming. my youngest would do it, too. i'd very matter of factly say, "it's a tiny cut. you want to go back outside and play, or do you want to go to your room and scream until you feel better? you choose, because i'm not listening to this." she went back outside every time. be firm and let her know she is OK and just being silly, and giving herself a headache, too.
    Abomnablesnogrl

Answer by Abomnablesnogrl at 3:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I tend to explain. If my kids ask for a snack (snack times are 10 & 3) I say, "well dinner is in 10 minutes, so you help me get the table ready and I'll go get your dinner, ok?"

or, if she gets hurt, I let her come let me kiss it and hold her but if she was screaming, i'd say "no screaming. it hurts my ears!" and just hold her.

I explain which sometimes bites me in the butt (they might argue) because I feel it teaches them WHY.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:30 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My 6 y.o does the same thing, any lil thing sends her in to meltdown mode. She stomps into her room, slams the door etc. Seriously thinking about taking door of the hinges, no more slamming that way.
    MrsRobbieD

Answer by MrsRobbieD at 2:16 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I think by 6 you can probably discuss with her at a time when she is NOT freaking out over some shots of chocolate milk. Like: This morning when you didn't get to wear your tiara to school, you really had a tantrum... Do you know that not getting what you want happens a lot in life, also to grownups... and you need to live with it? Also, Mommy needs to know when you are really sad and hurt, and if you cry over everything, I won't know the difference between really sad, or you just trying to get your way. Can we agree that you try to control yourself?....Then there need to be consequences to the needless freakouts. My almost 5 year old has a behavior chart up in the kitchen with frownies and smilies. A week with more smilies gets priviledge / prize....It *sometimes* works.
    Sam_K

Answer by Sam_K at 5:03 AM on Jul. 16, 2008