is it too cold to take baby out for christmas?

I have a 14day old daughter (will be 14 days old on christmas) and the temp. in wisconsin today is like 20dgrees and a 10degree windchill.. the last couple of days have been in the negative numbers.. I believe on christmas its suppose to be 22 degrees, but im not positive.. i park in a heated garage so she wont be that cold getting into the car.. however if i go to christmas id have to go to 3 different houses, so the baby would have to go from the car to the houses... i REALLY dont want her to catch a cold b/c the doctor said if she get a fever being less than a month old then she would have to go to the ER and stay overnight at the hospitals on machines.. i cannot leave my daughter, i sould die! PLEASE HELP i need some advice, i would hate to stay at home and not really celebrate christmas, but id rather have a healthy little bundle of joy...

Lizzay88

Asked by Lizzay88 at 2:17 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she keep her covered with lots of blanketes going from the car to the house.she will be fine!! just make sure she is bundled up properly
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 2:20 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Youre only going from the car to the house. I would be more concerned about her catching germs from all those people, but in the end, its still not likely. Just don't pass her around. She should be fine.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:22 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I agree with the other mommies. if you are only going from like car to house, etc and not strolling about the nerighborhood, just keep your LO bundled up like a little eskimo =]
    ashcoyle

Answer by ashcoyle at 2:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• i think that it is totally defendant on how you feel about it. I personally would take mine out if I was up to it two weeks post delivery. I would have to think about it myself. Any way If your baby is bundled up and you throw a heavy blanket over the 'bucket' car seat handle so she has the wind blocked while you carry her in, chances are she will be nice and cozy while you freeze to death!! being a little cool is not going to cause her to get sick though. I would be more worried about having her around multiple people and other children. Make sure everyone is well before making your choice and you could always consider having an 'open door policy' for Christmas day let everyone drop by your place for a little bit.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:24 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Bundle her up and put a warm but light blanket over her head when your coming in and out. I'm an Alaskan mom and that's how we bring our babies in and out of the cold.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• you can't take a new baby out to christmas and expect to NOT pass her around just ask everyone to wash their hands before holding her. A babies immune system is SOOO much better than ours especially if your breast feeding. Your baby should be fine
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• thank you guys for all your wonderful answers!!!! I feel alot better with my choice with taking her out... But i will not pass her around!! thanks
    Lizzay88

Answer by Lizzay88 at 2:31 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I think too many visits is the problem not the weather.All those germ at each house can make a baby sick very fast at that age..
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 2:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• You don't catch a cold from being IN the cold, so I wouldn't worry about that. Make sure the car is warm (and keep your gas tank full!) before baby is in it and you should be fine. I'm in Minnesota, and have been (unfortunately) needing to bring my son out in all of this recent crap we've been having.

Good luck with keeping people away from baby on Christmas, sorry to say! She will be the main event, after all! Hand-washing and avoiding spending too much time around the sickies will be your best bet. Luckily, people these days seem to understand that and oftentimes won't hold a baby if they're sick, anyway. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I think I would pick one house rather than three and she will be the main event, but why did your doctor caution you so strongly? Is she a preemie or have some medical problems? And be careful those car seats can really be a lot to manage on the ice!
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 3:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2008