Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how soon can you file your 2008 taxes with a pay stub?

wana file on the first of the year, but not sure if we can with our final pay stub from 2008. does anybody know?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • I think you're supposed to wait till you get your W2, and employers don't make that available till the end of January. You'd better make damn sure your final pay stub says the same thing as W2 if you're just going to go ahead and use that. Good luck, I'd wait if I were you.

    Answer by prettyrayray at 2:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

  • You can't file until the IRS 'opens' the tax filing. That's normally around the 10th of Jan I think.

    Answer by customcat2000 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

  • You can start filing as soon as you get your W2.

    Answer by sweetvietchic at 3:11 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

  • The IRS doesnt allow you to file taxes usually until Jan 15th-21st. That is because W2s are not by law required to be mailed until January 31st. You paystub & W2 can and usually do have different amounts on them. You would have to have your final pay through Jan 1st. Unless youre fortunate and your work pays you ended up Dec 31st the year to date wont be right on the last stub. If you put the wrong info in be ready to be audited. Just wait for the W2 its much easier then dealing with an auditor.

    Answer by gemgem at 3:35 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

  • No you need your W-2 to file your tax return.

    Answer by feesharose at 4:58 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
529 plan?

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
emotionally and physically finished!