Did you quit formula/breastmilk cold-turkey and start cow's milk?

Or did you do it gradually? My son is 10 1/2 months old so I'm no sure if I should be doing something to get him ready for cow's milk or if shortly after his birthday I just pour him a cup and see how it goes?

AMsMommy212

Asked by AMsMommy212 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Definitely go gradual! While your baby might do just fine with the instant switch, if you don't have to shock his/her little body, then don't! :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• gradual!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I went from breastmilk to formula at about 10 months (doing about half and half at first during the switch), and then from formula to whole milk at around 11 months (doing about half and half for a month or so).
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 3:01 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• well my daughter was off of formula since she started to eat solids.. (9-12 months)... now she is 17months old.. she doesnt get formula anymore of course.. but cow milk only every other day. she is eating so much other healthy stuff and her baby tea and juice every day :) when we have been out for walks and it was really cold, then ill make her some warm (cow)milk with honey. she just loves that
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• i dont plan on just feeding her cows milk. it has too much crap in it that makes it not very good for her. i will breastfeed until about a yr old and gradually take her off that and on to food.
    Anonymous

• I'm going to continue breastfeeding until my son is 2 at least. I don't plan on giving him cows milk anytime soon.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:16 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My boys were put on milk (2%) at 9 months per doctor's recommendations. They were all on table foods and eating a balanced diet.

I just switched them. The doctor said I could do it gradually, but there was no need. Oh...and my oldest went from soy formula to milk with no problems.

However, there are some kids who have a problem with it. But if the baby has been taking milk based formula and/or you've been drinking milk while breastfeeding then they're already getting some milk products....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I did it cold turkey with my first and gradually with the twins. The funny thing is, after gradually switching from formula to whole milk with the twins I had a lot harder time getting them to drink the whole milk than I did with their sister who switched in one day.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:35 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I didn't mix formula and milk, but I switched one formula feeding at a time to milk, the formula first thing in the morning being the last to go.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:41 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Yeah its best to do it gradually so he/she gets used to it. It will be very different for them. I started implimenting cows milk a little at a time at 9 months. Mine had also had watered down juice and water before that (at about 5 months) as well.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 4:08 PM on Dec. 23, 2008