My 17 yr. old wants to have fun with her friends but no responsibilities.

she won't talk to me and i have grounded her and threatened to take away her privleges but it doesn't work. she claims that if i try talking to her that it'll be a fight but that's not true. all i ask her to do is her chore before leaving. she also says we have no life.

mymymy10

Asked by mymymy10 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• i am a big believer that kids should have a job as soon as they are of legal working age...dont gve her money, make her earn it herself...as for chores at home, if she doesnt do them, take away things that you pay for (like TV, cell phone, house phone, internet) tell her that she can either earn these things by doing her chores of she will have to get a job and pay for them herself....im pretty sure she will find it easier to earn them through you than at a job!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 4:08 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Ok stop threatening to take privledges away and TAKE THEM AWAY! She does need to have responsibilities. My SS is 13 and he has chores that he has to do every day. He doesn't do them, he's got consequences. You cannot, however, threaten her privledges because she doesn't talk to you. That's something you cannot force. Teenage girls are a little crazy. But you have to earn her trust. Hang out with her. Tell her you want to have some special mama/daughter time. Watch Friends together or go shopping together, no friends allowed. Have lunch together. It may take a few times of "hanging out" to get her to open up, but it will happen, have faith. :-)
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 9:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I agree with LoriaAnn on the job thing and chores. Tell her things are gonna have to change. You're old enough to help lighten the load- if you have other kids, I'd include them too. They can all do something.

ideas

take out trash from bedrooms, bathrooms when needed

vac carpets

clear entryway

sweep front porch

tidy living room

make bed, brush teeth, put clothes in hamper

wash laundry, fold

TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:23 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I dont really agree with the making your children do chores.I do believe if they make a mess they need to clean it.Your daughter should know better and that she needs responsibilities no matter what,that you cant hide from them.Seems alot likes shes taking advantage of how nice you are to her though...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jul. 23, 2008