How do you entertain a 4 month old while you get housework done?

He'll sit and play with me but if I'm not there nothing keeps him occupied.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine was always content to play in a little gym...the one I had had motion activated music...so when baby hit the toys, music would start. Do you have something like that? Also, Baby Einstein DVDs are great for entertaining at this age. I have a rule of no more than 30 minutes of tv a day...but 30 minutes might be all you need to get the kitchen picked up, etc.

Also - how are day time naps going? I noticed a lot of crankiness around this age due to lack of sleep. She went from sleeping wherever she was to needing to be in her crib for day time naps. Mine is much more apt to play on her own when she isn't cranky from being sleepy.

Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• my son had his bouncer ...
    a swing ...
    kids cd player ...
    this one thing that lays on the floor and he kicked it and it did soo much it was loud! lol ...
    but mostly if i was going to be long i would put the bouncer in that room and clean ... that way i could still talk to him
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 3:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Wear him. Tie him to your chest with a big scarf or mai tai or get a carrier and carry him with you.

Either that or use the bouncy seat in whatever room you are in so he can be near you.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 4:07 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I'd wear mine in a sling.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:21 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• bouncers or one of those play gym things where they can lay on their backs and reach for the stuff above them
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 4:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I place my 4-month old in a pack and play. He'll look at the mobile or we'll put some toys in there and he'll just shake the rattles. He'll stay in there for 30-45 minutes. Or his play mat, he loves that too -- although now he is flipping over from his back to tummy and gets upset so it's not soo helpful. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Depends on what I am doing.
    He likes his play mat. And LOVE his highchair because he can sit up and look around... and then if I am cooking or whatever he can watch.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• lol have another child! j/k. My daughter loves babies so much she can play with them for hours...I'm sure my house will be much cleaner this time around now that I have a little "help". Maybe "borrow" a child. I never mind having other kids over...I swear to you I get more done with two kids in the house than one because that way they're not so dependent on me for entertainment.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 4:43 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I wore mine in a sling. Sometimes, I could put him in the swing just long enough to do the dishes. The tummy-time mat also bought me about 10 minutes. The majority of the time: I wore him.
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My guy LOVES watching Baby Noah (a Baby Einstein), but doesn't care for the others yet. Sometimes I try to position him in one of his seats in a place he can watch me run around like crazy--I'm entertainment enough! :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2008