"Poop the baby out"

Okay, so I was watching an animal show with my 5yo DD. There were little fox kits and coyote cubs and DD just out of the blue said that their mommy pooped them out. Just to make sure I understood what she said, I asked her "she pooped them out?" and she said "yes, ewwww!"

I can only figure she watched some animal being born on some animal show along the way and since that's pretty much what it looks like, she decided that was what was happening. I didn't correct her, but now I'm wondering if maybe I should have...but yet she is only 5 (and an immature 5 at that) and it seems very early to be talking to her about the birds and the bees and how babies really get out.

Thoughts...?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 12:18 AM on Aug. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my 5 year old daughter says the same exact thing (we do watch a lot of animal planet) she knows that we carry the baby in our tummies and then we "poop them out" but I don't correct her...she also said once when I was going to the hospital to have her sister that the doctor was gonna "crack her out" I'm assuming like an egg? I don't correct her.....not yet anyways. she will get smarter and more curious and when she does start asking questions I will tell her the real answers.
    Electronica_Mom

Answer by Electronica_Mom at 12:51 AM on Aug. 12, 2011

• I think you should tell her when she reaches school age. She's too young for that talk.
    onelove1982

Answer by onelove1982 at 12:25 AM on Aug. 12, 2011

• Kids say the darnest things LOL ...
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 12:21 AM on Aug. 12, 2011

• Way normal. But my four year old knows the start of the basics. We watched a documentary about babies from around the globe and some pretty sanitized birth scenes. He knows a mother has an egg inside her body and the father has sperm from his body. He doesn't know how the sperm leaves the body and enters the woman. He does know the sperm swims to crawl inside the egg and then the baby is made grows inside of the woman. That talk is coming any day on the how a sperm gets in there. I have a firm rule that if he is old enough to ask a question he is old enough to hear an answer. The answer is put in an age appropriate way. If I'm not ready because I don't have the right wording I tell him I will get back to him soon....and then I do. I also correct him when he has an incorrect assumption. I praise for the parts he has right and say, "I can see how a lot of kids think that..." and then we talk.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2011

• I am so ashamed to admit this, but I am an old lady from a different generation, and when I got MARRIED I thought the same thing. Go ahead and laugh, I found out soon enough.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 10:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2011

• haha, that is funny.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2011

• lol I wouldn't worry about it.
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 11:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2011