Have you had to drink the contrast dye to have a CT scan?

Is it nasty? I have to drink it in 3 different doses and I have a tough time dealing with "nasty", lol.

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Health

• UGHH i hated it and it mad me sick for 12 hours after!! now the tough of the taste can almost make me throw up! I had to do it twice D;

whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 4:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I did a couple weeks ago. I was told to mix it in sweetened iced tea- I couldn't even taste it at all. And no aftertaste. The tea was actually one of those little envelope things that you put in water. I added the contrast and mixed the envelope of tea in. I had to drink a half gallon on the way to the test. No problem at all, except I had to run to the bathroom LOL!

Answer by Bmat at 4:08 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I had to do that a few months ago. They put Crystal Light in the solution, so that made it just a little bit easier to drink. Ask if maybe they can add something to yours too?? Goodluck. Just try and get it down as fast as you can. LOL.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I didn't drink my contrast. It has always gone through my IV. I've had about 5 MRIs and 2 CT scans in the past year and always got it through my IV. Maybe ask for it that way. It did make me really hot and I felt like I had peed my pants, but Ididn't taste it. lol
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 4:14 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I had to drink it on the way over (as I said I couldn't taste it at all in the drink mix, and I am sensitive to yucky stuff, too) and when I got there they gave me another cup of it and also used an IV for more. The pee the pants thing was interesting. Thank goodness they warned me that it would happen,- just that you feel like you have, not that you do.

Answer by Bmat at 4:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• When I had to they mixed it in the hospital they mixed it with orange gatorade. It still had a wierd taste, but it wasn't too bad.
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 4:20 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• LOL, I forgot all about that lovely 'warm feeling' you get from the IV dye. Yeah, you really do feel like you peed your pants! I remember it clearly now. haha
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 4:22 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• On my, lol. Thanks for the heads up. I'm getting an abdominal and pelvic scan...she didn't mention that I could get it through an IV, but she asked if I had some IV clip thing in a vien of mine (which I don't).
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• dont forget the metal taste in your mouth ewww
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 4:35 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I've had both the oral and the IV kind... With the IV kind you shouldn't get pregnant for 7 years which is one of many reasons they don't do it on women of child bearing age so much. It's also usually for the brain. If they need to see how things go through your system, which this sounds like they do, you will have to drink it. It's not the worst thing I've ever had! But it's far from the best. I did get a little queezy but not sick. Just mix it with something sweet to help. And as soon as you can, eat something. It will help with the metal taste!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2008