Question for Christians

I am struggling with forgivness...especially for those I barely know-I kinda have a short fuse...anyway what can I do to forgive others and get over being easily irritated/offended?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Pray. I am the same way and my mom said the best way is when opening prayer ask God to forgive you for being unforgiving and to help you let go of the past and things and ppl that irritate you. I have been working on that myself and have found asking God for help and guidance has really helped me.

Answer by gemgem at 4:19 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I was the same exact way. If someone looked at me wrong I would ask them what they were looking at. But in a more nasty cursing way. I started reading bible verses that pertained to patience and how we were suppose to be in our daily living. People who have deceived me and mistreated me, I have forgave them. I learned that God can punish someone way worse than I can so I give it to Him and I do this from my heart and everytime those bitter feelings go away and I just do not think about them anymore and I also pray for that person. It is all in you and your heart. All you have to do is believe and trust and have faith.
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 4:19 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Make the decision to forgive, regardless of your feelings. They will eventually catch up with the whole forgiveness concept, but maybe not today.
    Pray that God will give you His Grace to do it. God's grace is simply His power to do something with ease that you would struggle with if you try to do it on your own.
    Pray for the person who hurt you. Ouch. This is probably the hardest part of the whole concept. But when you pray for that person, God can reach into the situation and work.
    (cont)
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• LEAVE the situation and person alone. Don't try to avenge yourself. Ugh. Yeah right...it would be so much easier if you could just do some awful thing to make them look bad or feel bad or something! Don't do anything. Let God do what He's going to do and you focus on moving forward, doing whatever God tells you to do
    I use these with my youth group....hope it helps and God bless
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:24 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I read this book not too long ago and even though it's a fictional book it's still a GREAT story. It's called The Shack by William P. Young and you can find it at Walmart. It's only about $10 and not a large book at all.

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• The bible specifically says to forgive or He will not forgive you. It is something you choose to do. Even if you do not feel it, it is better to obey the word than to wait untill you "feel" like forgiving. Jesus did not want to go to the cross because of the pain he would endure but His words were.. Your will Father Not mine and He obeyed and died on the Cross. He took upon the sins of the world and forgave us too. :-) You can forgive yet you might still feel the pain, the healing part takes time but without forgiving it will take longer or never. Just my thoughts for you!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Pray about it. I am easily iritated, but i just had to humble myself .. Sacrifice a little for someone else, give a little. and really learn to appreciate the small stuff .
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 5:50 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Through pray..And remembering Christ is our example. Always try and be reminded of that when confronted with the temptation to blow your top. Forgiveness..again, remember Christ example He forgives us...There will be times when you feel like you can't forgive...But, you can with God's help. Be in His Word and always in communication with Him. God Bless and Have a Merry "Christ" mas.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 6:15 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I agree, prayer is the best way. Forgiveness is not forgetting, it's remembering without malice.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:35 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Do as all the christians here do--treat those who argue against you as insignificant. Put consider yourself better than them and above them and treat them as fools because they know the bible better than you do yourself. It's all about arrogance and you really need to cultivate this if you want to be a good christian.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2008