how do u keep ur 2y cool headed when ur out and he does not get his way.

my son gets mad at a drop of a hat and he yell/and hits so when we are away from the house what works best to stop this ? he cant talk just yet so most the time i just dont no why or how to ....

dev091281

Asked by dev091281 at 4:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd is 3 and used to act that way. Now I dont take her with me if shes going to be that way. I tell her when we are out "Next time youre not coming because you cannot listen to me". I have been doing that since she was around 2 and I am consistant. Now she knows if shes bad she wont come the next time.
    Anonymous

• Does he understand well? My ds doesn't talk all that much either, so it's sometimes hard to understand his needs - especially when upset! - but he listens well. If he gets out of hand, I kneel down to his level and talk to him as gently as I can to help him calm down, say no to what he's doing and why it's not ok, and then give him something he CAN do. If he won't calm, I have to give him a consequence - think it through beforehand so it can be reasonable and you don't catch yourself making threats you can't follow through on, or else he won't believe you.

Example: "calm, calm, mama can't understand you if you're yelling, hon. Deep breath, ok, good calm, what do you need, why are you so upset? No... I'm sorry you can't push the cart - it was hitting people (or whatever), here's what you CAN do..."
    forgivenservant

Answer by forgivenservant at 5:14 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Or choices work well, even if it wasn't something he wanted in the first place: "We're going home now." "NO!" "Yep, we are. Would you like to lead the way or hold my hand?" The unspoken thing there is that it's not a choice for him to go or not. Since he has a choice within his power, he forgets that he was refusing to go.
    forgivenservant

• What do you do at home when he acts like that? That's what you do when you're out.

If mine throw a fit at home, they're put in time out until calm at the least. The same if we're at a store, at someone else's house or where ever. One threw a fit in the truck. I parked, opened the hatch, took him out and sat him in the back of the truck until he was done. (obviously I was standing right there)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:07 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• well I have a 2 yr old and 1 year old. they will both bump up in age with in the next 5 months.  (2 & 3) well when my son the youngest acts terrible I tell him nicely "stop there is no need for that" if he keeps it up then I go to the corner of the store leave him in the buggy and stand behind the buggy so he can't see me and tell him he is in the naughty seat!  he talks but not like my older child.  he will fuss a few minutes then stop.  i will ask him are you ready to go shop?  then we do.  if he is crabby because it's nap time or his schedule is off 9which is my fault) then i try to pacify him. i will give him a juice cup or something to soothe him.  My oldest who will be 3 in Jan if she is naughty I will tell her "patience is needed here"  if you wanna go to the toy isle then you need to let me look at my things. 

1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 7:25 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

•  We don't always buy a toy we will look and they will play with the items in store.  I don't teach them to cry and then you get a toy.  we only get gifts for reasons.  like she is ding the potty thing so she got her 7day gift today.  But i explain to them that we look at what mommy needs then we will see what you wanna look at.  But you have to do that, don't ignore what they wanna see.  then they will eventually not listen at all because you aren't honest.  good luck!  hope this helps.  all kids are different.

1boy1girl4me

• well i think all the anser are good but my son is not at the point of acting that well yet to talk to him like that an think he whould respond or even care if we left the store or even i walked away he whould just acted out more ... with no real understanding of the problem...
    i dont no why people seem to have great kids that just do right but my boys are ruff/and hot headed ... they act just like my brothers did and they didnt stop gething in troble tell they where about 20 lol
    thank u for ur input
    i guess i will have to just try to tack it one day at a time...
    dev091281

Answer by dev091281 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2008