Any tips of survival and keeping sanity for first few months with newborn baby?

thecat3

Asked by thecat3 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sleep when the baby sleeps. You're able to function MUCH better when rested.

Know that the baby will cry. See to his/her needs and if there's nothing else to be done and the baby is still crying....remember there are times when it's better to walk away for a few minutes.

If someone you know offers help.....let them!!!!!!

Have the pediatrician on speed dial and don't be afraid to call even with what you think might be a "stupid" question. That's what they get paid for....and the only stupid question is the one not asked.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:50 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• i wish i knew sum myself..my lil girl is almost 2 months old and has colic so yea its really stressful the first few weeks i asked myself how am i gonna make it through this but its gotton alot easier u will adjust to it jus takes a couple of weeks...myself the only way i keep my sanity is my hubby he takes her for awhile and gives me a break and sum nite he lets me sleep all nite till whenever i wake up...cus im a stay at home mom so i do it 6 days a week 10 hour days...but i promise u will adjust...acongrats!!!hope all works out for u!
    Brinkleysmommy1

Answer by Brinkleysmommy1 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• patience and love<3

I really didn't have a hard time keeping my sanity with my son. He slept all night from 4 weeks on. I only pulled 2 nights of staying up til 3 am with him. so it was easy to do nothing but love him. He was an easy one.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Don't do everything by yourself... have your husband or other family help
    Get out of the house. But now with all of the germs around... go someplace with not a ton of people or to a friends house... go someplace!
    Take some time to yourself.... take an extra long hot shower or just veg out without any responsibility for a little bit
    Find a hobby- my new hobby is taking pictures of my son!! But it can be anything... but something you enjoy.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:52 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Sleep when you can. Try not to worry too much about things you aren't getting done, like house work and cooking. If people offer to bring you food, let them! Anything you can stock up on before the baby comes is something you won't have to run to the store for later. If you thought you knew exactly how you were going to do everything before the baby came, try to cut yourself some slack if it doesn't go that way after the baby comes. Try to enjoy this time as much as possible, because it goes way too quick!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Get friends to visit you. Talk on the phone. Get your husband to help you.
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Just try to remember that it will get easier. If you can just get through these first couple of months things will be more routine.
    Anonymous

• Friends are busy, work and school. We go for dinner every 3 weeks or so. Husband has work full time and school as well. My family lives far but mom comes over after work on fri and sleeps over till sat. and sometimes my husband's grandmother helps to sit with baby. It's some help but still hard.
    thecat3

Answer by thecat3 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I agree with the "sleep when the baby sleeps"....I breastfed both of my kids and I just put them in the bed with me at night to make feedings easier....invest in a bouncy/vibrating seat and a swing...if all else fails, these can be stress savers!!! I really didn't have any help because DH is a trucker and we have no family here with us...so it was just me....it's hard but you can do it....if you feel like crying, cry....go outside if you're feeling overwhelmed....just make sure the baby's safe before you do...
    moore_me03

Answer by moore_me03 at 7:31 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Sleep when the baby is sleeping! You will need it.
    lincsmom74

Answer by lincsmom74 at 7:53 PM on Dec. 23, 2008