not gaining wieght

ok, it might be me lacking on follow though with my daughters eating habit but i recorded everything my daughter ate (witch was a fair bit) in a course of 2 weeks and she only gained 3 1/2 oz....she is pettite and dosent like eating all that much, i've tried bargaining,rewarding,playing,ignoring,and even the odd threat of no desert,t.v...e.t.c NOTHING is getting my kid to eat. I give her small amounts on her plate to ake it look like theres not much there and she will only eat (most of the time) not even half of what i give her....could this be a hereititary thing? or is it me?...your input is very important to me and i welcome any and all suggestions to get her to eat more.....(no she doesn't drink all day either...lol)

julie120

Asked by julie120 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She's not going to gain weight like she did as a baby. My 4 year old has only gained about 3lbs in the past year...and there is NOTHING wrong with the way he eats.

Some kids need less food than others. Some kids have a higher metabolism than others.

Is your doctor concerned?

You put the food on the table and put her to it. If she eats, great. If not...clear the table. She gets hungry enough she'll eat.

How often does she eat? Cut back on snacks if there are some. Not stop giving snacks, just give less. What does she like to eat? Find different ways to fix that.

An average toddler serving is only about 1/4 of an adult serving. That's something to keep in mind, too...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:12 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• One of the most common crimes against children is that of compelling them to eat when there is no desire nor demand for food. Many mothers complain that their children will not eat. They have to coax or force children to eat. If there is no desire for food, none should be given. Children may be depended upon, always, to take food, if and when they are hungry. If the child is not hungry let him go without food. His own sense of hunger is a better guide as to when he should eat than all the science of all the ex-spurts in the world, who know all about the thing, and know it all wrong.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I wouldn't worry a ton about it... just make sure when she does eat the food counts. So no empty calories.. like juice and fruit snack and junk like that.

Have you tried cooking with her? Have her "help" you prepare meals... she may be more excited to eat what she helped make. You can also make kids this age excited by putting stickers on things to make them more fun... "Like drink you Dora milk" or whatever.

Give lots of praise for what she does eat and don't scold for not eating well... that way meal time is fun. Encourage to take... just one more bite.. but if she doesn't want to... oh well... she will get hungry and eat better for her next meal.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:55 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• the docor...or pediatrician i should say is worried...she has always been small but according to her birth wieght she was on the 10th percent isle and is now on the 3rd percent isle on the charts....(all that work with me now have been struggling to keep her just above the 3rd for the past 2 years) the pediatrician thinks that i am literally starving her, when in fact she just dosent want to eat,.... whats worse is she is now starting to reject food completely....today (dec 23/08) lunch time it took her 1 hour to eat 2 hot dogs(no bun) the last bite she held in her mouth for 25 mins.....there are only 3 snacks a day (morning,afternoon,and bedtime and they are small,i.e raisins,sliced apple....e.t.c...)
    julie120

Answer by julie120 at 11:52 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Don't make it a control issue!

Maybe if she helps you prepare food it will be more "fun" to eat. It's hard to believe a child is not choosing to eat, has she had a sore throat? Does it hurt to eat?

Just put the food down and walk away - obviously coaxing her is not working. Don't beg her to eat - that will just turn into a power play.

I am sorry this is happening and I hope you find a way to work with your doctor!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:19 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Maybe therapy? You know what is going on with her better... but my husbands cousin had an eating disorder... and not the same kind that teenagers have. His had to do with the textures of his food and wouldn't eat things unless they were smooth (when he was 4 he looked like he was 2 he was so tiny) so maybe she is really sensitive to something also... his cousin I *think* went to a speech therapist for his therapy... but it might have been somthing else.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:53 AM on Dec. 25, 2008