How would you handle your child

if he or she keeps being irresponsible? My son left the house with his cousin and left the back slidding door open. I'm so mad we just bought gifts and of course our stuff could have been stolen too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• he left the door open.. since you know that im assuming you have been at home?!.. so it seems a little too paranoid (IF you were at home).. other than that.. just tell him to close the door next time.. nothing else you can do about it. coz it already happened anyway
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I only saw when I went home for lunch. I'm at work today.
    Anonymous

• I have no idea! I have one child that's really responsible (17) and the other that's not as responsible and always seems to have his head in the clouds (15). He's left the front door open on a couple of occasions (I was home at the time but still!!!! ) and he forgets..EVERYTHING! I'll keep an eye on this post and hope to see the answer to this questions ...sigh....LOL
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 5:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Not allow him to use the sliding door for when he comes and goes? If he uses a regular door he maybe more apt to close it.
    mom2boys12

Answer by mom2boys12 at 8:49 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I would of "stolen" the gifts to scare him.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 11:04 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• When my kids have left things outside I hide them and wait until they start freaking out, when I finally let them have it back I tell them they were lucky it wasn't stolen. I have only had to do this a couple times, they have learned their lesson.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:09 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Be happy that he told you he was leaving with his cousin. Some kids just take off. Your son may not have felt shutting the back door was a big deal, kids forget, just tell him to make sure he shuts the door! My kids shut the door but never lock it! It drives me crazy when no one is home when the doors are unlocked!
    Anonymous

• Well, there are natural consequences when a child/teen is irresponsible. For example: doesn't bring homework (that was actually completed) to school. Many parents rush it to the school. Some would say - don't, take the zero. Natural consequence. Leave a bike out front and it gets stolen, natural consequence. Not replacing, so sorry. But then there are consequences that b/c of an action affect others. Like leaving a sliding glass door open. Okay so this time, lucky for everyone, nothing was taken and no intruder came into your home. But the consequence of that needs to be very immediate and very real. I personally wouldn't hold it against him forever, just long enough to deliver a consequence of your choice. I would explain that I am upset b/c this impact the safety of the family. Not just him being forgetful in general.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:35 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• cont...After the consequence has been given then let it go and move on. He may need more consequences due to just really forgetful or absent minded (irresponsible) behavior. Nothing intentional but still not exactly using the head. So if he wonders why does he always have trouble with loosing things, why you don't buy him another _____, or why he is always having some sort of punnishment - why put it back on him. To teach you a lesson baby. (I mean baby in an affectionate way) When you learn those lessons I won't have to do so much work either. Be nice, smile, and then sigh - some of us really do need that extra reinforcement. I was one of those. Not fun. But eventuallly we either have a harmonious home where you can find your things, have things (b/c you don't loose them) or - you don't. At this point it is up to him how it gets played out.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:40 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Some moms is right!! next time he left door open, u get all his things and hide it. He will be shock, heyy where my son. how can u let door open cause someone will stole it soon if no body home. how that make you feeling that really happen. if u plan move out your own. alway keep close and safe.

all learn lessen to keep safe and lock up doors before leave house. if u see him shock and upset. tell him how u feeling honest. be nice all time than give his things back.
    whoishotmama

Answer by whoishotmama at 8:40 PM on Dec. 25, 2008